Test kits in Canada...and a water question about balancing..

Re: Test kits in Canada

Have it shipped to somewhere close to the border and make a trip to pick it up. I've heard that site in Canada has an exclusive agreement with Taylor and so can charge whatever they want.

SUPERcanadian???? had to out-do me hey!! :)

It's absolutely ridiculous what they charge for this kit in Canada. I won't give them the satisfaction of paying that much!! Have you got any friends in the U.S.? Buy the TF-100 and have it shipped there. Then have them ship it to you. No matter what you're charged at the border it's still WAAAYYYYYY cheaper than buying it in Canada.

Piscines-Apollo has the sole distribution rights for Taylor kits in Canada, as far as I'm told anyways.
Your only chances are to buy one in the US, order one online from the US and have it shipped to a freight depot where you can pick up later, or find an online site that ships to Canada.

My understanding is that the TFP guys won't ship it to Canada because it violates their distribution agreement with Taylor, I believe there are other online sellers that don't care about violating the agreement.

I'm with you, the price for the kits here is ridiculous.

GreatCanadian said:
SUPERcanadian???? had to out-do me hey!! :)

It's absolutely ridiculous what they charge for this kit in Canada. I won't give them the satisfaction of paying that much!! Have you got any friends in the U.S.? Buy the TF-100 and have it shipped there. Then have them ship it to you. No matter what you're charged at the border it's still WAAAYYYYYY cheaper than buying it in Canada.

Haha, oops never saw we already had a solid Canadian presence!

I really only want an accurate CYA test so I think I can find that chemical online to buy as I'll settle for using the 4-1 Hydropro test kit I've been using that does chlorine residual (whatever that is), PH, Alkalinity and acid demand.

I think my CYA is too high and want to make sure it is accurate as I switch from using puck/chems to BBB.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I'm originally from Chatham so closer to Detroit so a huge wings fan! The leafs are what gets sucked into my skimmer lol.

My wife wants a shopping trip so I am going to order and get it shipped to a outlet near the border.

I did order that cya test as a stop gap as that trip won't be for a month and concerned about my cya.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cramar said:
Piscines-Apollo has the sole distribution rights for Taylor kits in Canada, as far as I'm told anyways.
No that's incorrect. Piscines Apollo does not have the sole distributor rights for Taylor in Canada, Lowry and Associates are the master distributors for Canada.

Ask the TFP guys why they are prevented from selling to Canada. I don't think it has to do entirely with the distribution agreement. The TF-100 is not a Taylor-branded test kit, it's basically repackaged reagents. It does not make sense.

Ask the TFP guys why they are prevented from selling to Canada.
Pretty simple, really. Taylor said to me it was something they did not want me to do if I was going to carry their products. I am about 98% sure that applies to every Taylor dealer in the US as well.

CaOCl2 said:
cramar said:
No that's incorrect. Piscines Apollo does not have the sole distributor rights for Taylor in Canada, Lowry and Associates are the master distributors for Canada.

Ask the TFP guys why they are prevented from selling to Canada. I don't think it has to do entirely with the distribution agreement. The TF-100 is not a Taylor-branded test kit, it's basically repackaged reagents. It does not make sense.

Hence, why I said "Taylor kits" and not reagents.

Lowry and Associates has an exclusive agreement with Taylor that applies to all products containing components manufactured by Taylor. No one but Lowry and Associates can import anything from Taylor into Canada. Piscines-Apollo purchases their supply through Lowry and Associates. TFTestKits uses Taylor reagents in their kits, so their products contain Taylor components and thus can't be sold in Canada (unless Lowry and Associates were to decide to import them).

Just for fun I took my water to two local pool places for testing.

The first place used a taylor k-2005 test kit which they sell for 300 bucks...anyway...here are the numbers and suggestions from them.

Total Alk- 100ppm
PH- 7.6
CH- 160ppm
Free chlorine - 4.0
Combined Chlorine- 0
CYA/Stabilizer- 60ppm
TDS- 0ppm

They said my phosphates were too high and to lower it. Plus add CH to boost the calcium up.

Second pool place used some super disc thing:
FC- 4.7ppm
Total Chlorine- 5.31
Combined Chlorine- 0.61ppm
PH- 7.9
Total Alk- 95ppm
Phosphates- 1000ppb
Cal Hardness- 125ppm
CYA- 71ppm

They recommend I lower the PH and add something to remove the phosphates and then shock the pool.

I was using a auto chlorinator with pucks up until a week or so ago when I stopped as I know it is bad news.

My water is clear, I am getting some alge it looks like near the bottom sometimes.

Really not sure what to do. I've read pool school and checked out the calculator. The confusing this is ok so my chlorine is high, but to add more? If I add more chlorine won't it mean I can't swim for weeks? I know I can figure this out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.