Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: intex start up

1. Back To Top    #1

intex start up

Im a newbie who just filled first (city water) and asked questions later. I want to use BBB method but am waiting on my test kit. I have BBB supplies and cyanuric acid 4# bottle. Can I start dissolving CYA before testing water? I have seen pre-dissolve method in bucket, and seen where it can be put in sock. I added 2 c bleach to get started. Thanks for this web site.

Intex 15 x 48in
    10'x30" Intex AG pool (~1200 gal) with 530G filter pump, Phoenix AZ

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: intex start up

Since it's a new fill it will have zero CYA so yes, you can go ahead and add it with the assurance that it's zero.

Be careful not to over dose. That's a pretty small pool.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Keep adding the bleach daily until you get your kit and can test. Once the CYA has dissolved dose the pool with chlorine as if you had the level you dosed for as the CYA might not show up on a test until a week has passed.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

4. Back To Top    #4

What is the preferred method of adding CYA? Going from pool calculator I will be adding about 30 oz.
    10'x30" Intex AG pool (~1200 gal) with 530G filter pump, Phoenix AZ

5. Back To Top    #5

Put it in a sock or stocking in front of a running return. Squeeze the sock whenever you walk by to help it dissolve. You can swim while it's in there too.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit