i Just need some confirming help!! just a noob!!

Jul 3, 2013
I am looking to purchase a 40 x 18 x 54 Sharkline Matrix. The Matrix seems to be a good quality pool that will last (so the dealers say). If not this pool I was looking at the Swim N Play Navigator (aluminum). So I am still not quite sure which to buy, but I want a pool that will last.
I was leaning towards a cartridge filter with the pump., can someone tell me if this pump would be good for the 40 ft. sharkline pool? Or is it overkill?
http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/Pentair- ... OF2160.htm

I want a good quality pool and pump and filter system, something that will last.
Can someone please chime in, thank you!

That pump is fine maybe even a little large, but it's 2-speed so it will work fine. That filter is a little smaller than I would recommend but it will work. I see that they don't offer a 200 sqft or larger filter with a pump combo. You may want to call them and see what they can do.

Bama Rambler said:
That pump is fine maybe even a little large, but it's 2-speed so it will work fine. That filter is a little smaller than I would recommend but it will work. I see that they don't offer a 200 sqft or larger filter with a pump combo. You may want to call them and see what they can do.

So for the 40 x 18, should I look for a 1hp with 200sq. ft. cartridge filter system?

Also, I have read the 2 best options for keeping water clean is household bleach or swg system.
I was originally looking at an inline chlorinator to keep the water clean.
But after reading, not so sure.
Do people actually just use grocery store bleach all summer long to keep their pool clean?
What is the easiest, most reasonable system to keep my water clean?

What is the easiest, most reasonable system to keep my water clean?
BBB, of course. :lol:

But what BBB means is that you understand how to test accurately and interpret your test results so you know how to manage your pool. In other words, there is no ONE chlorination method that is totally perfect and head and shoulders better than anything else.

The best "system" is you gaining the knowledge to understand what parameters to test for and what to do with your test results.

Your education begins with Pool School.

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" article first.

I don't use anything except grocery store bleach for chlorination in my pool.

I have an injection pump and a 15 gallon drum that I fill up about once a month. You should see the looks I get when I buy 16 bottles of bleach at one time. :mrgreen:

Yes, I would recommend a 1 hp 2-speed pump and a 200 sqft filter.

Bama Rambler said:
I don't use anything except grocery store bleach for chlorination in my pool.

I have an injection pump and a 15 gallon drum that I fill up about once a month. You should see the looks I get when I buy 16 bottles of bleach at one time. :mrgreen:

Yes, I would recommend a 1 hp 2-speed pump and a 200 sqft filter.

You fill up a 15 gallon drum once a month with bleach?? huh?? How many gallons is your pool? I wouldn't mind using bleach if it is the best way to keep my pool water clean, but is it cheaper than chlorine? Also, is it safe to open my eyes underwater using bleach? I have just never heard of using bleach to replace chlorine.
I read in another link on this thread about a liquidator to shoot the chlorine into the system.
Do you have a link for one of these things? Approx. how much bleach would I use per month for the 20,000 gallon pool? I just don't know I am new at this stuff and want it to be easy.
As far as a 1HP dual speed pump with 200 ft. cartridge, I cannot find, got a link?

Bleach is liquid chlorine just different concentration. Look at the labels sometime, the solid chlorine has other stuff that's undesirable, either cya or CH both of which if you have too much can cause problems.

Well first thing you need to know is that bleach IS chlorine! It's the same chlorine that's in all those other pool chlorine sources. Don't be fooled by someone telling you it's different.

So is it safe? Yes it is! It's as safe or safer than any other pool chemical.

At 20,000 gallons you're about the top of what I'd recommend the liquidator. For your pool I'd recommend an injection pump and drum.

You'll probably use about 15 gallons of 8.25% per month.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bama Rambler said:
Well first thing you need to know is that bleach IS chlorine! It's the same chlorine that's in all those other pool chlorine sources. Don't be fooled by someone telling you it's different.

So is it safe? Yes it is! It's as safe or safer than any other pool chemical.

At 20,000 gallons you're about the top of what I'd recommend the liquidator. For your pool I'd recommend an injection pump and drum.

You'll probably use about 15 gallons of 8.25% per month.

so can I just buy this injection pump and drum at a pool online store?? or is this something I have to do custom.
I did find this dual speed pump here
http://www.cheappoolproducts.com/Haywar ... oduct.html

can I use that pump with this filter cartridge system?
http://www.amazon.com/Jandy-CS200-200-S ... ool+filter

That is going to cost me a little more than going with the Hayward 1.5hp dual speed and 150 sq. ft. pump I posted above.
Are you sure I should only go 1hp with a big 40 x 18 x 54" pool?

Most of us just buy the injection pump online and either get the tank the same place or find a standard plastic drum somewhere. I got mine from USwater systems I think. The drum I got off Ebay.

There's a thread all about my injection system called "I've defected to the dark side".

The pump and filter you linked to is fine together. That pump is more than enough for that pool.

Bama Rambler said:
Most of us just buy the injection pump online and either get the tank the same place or find a standard plastic drum somewhere. I got mine from USwater systems I think. The drum I got off Ebay.

There's a thread all about my injection system called "I've defected to the dark side".

The pump and filter you linked to is fine together. That pump is more than enough for that pool.

yea, but now thinking about it, the jandy filter cartridge above is 2" outlet and the pump is 1 1/2"

anyway I found this one, I just might go with it
https://www.hayward-pool.com/prd/Above- ... 0036_A.htm

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.