Pump - how long should it run?

Shaf77

Jun 10, 2010
Toronto, ON. Canada
We just got our pool opened (new vinyl). PB says that pump should be run 24x7. Is that true? Should I not just be running it for a portion of the day?

Please help me understand how to determine the duration, settings and run time of the pump please.

Thanks!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Re: Pump - how long should it run

Since you have a VS pump you could theoretically run it at about 1000 rpm 24 hours a day but you probably don't need to.
BF gave you good advice. That's a good place to start.
What speed did the PB tell you to run it at?

Re: Pump - how long should it run

Bama Rambler said:
Since you have a VS pump you could theoretically run it at about 1000 rpm 24 hours a day but you probably don't need to.
BF gave you good advice. That's a good place to start.
What speed did the PB tell you to run it at?

PB said I can run it at V1 (1500 rpm) or lower, as long as the demand for the gas heater allows it to kick in.

Will read through the link BF provided.

Read through the link and makes good sense.

A couple of questions please:

1. What is the best way to direct returns for optimal circulation?
2. Should I be having both skimmer and main drain suction on always or slect between one or the other?
3. SWG - should I turn that off when turning off the pump, or will it simply shutoff since there is no flow detected? PB asked me to leave it at Auto with 35% setting and to bump it to 50% if we plan to have a party.

Thanks again!

1. That's individual to each pool and you'll just have to play with them to get yours aimed correctly.
2. Optimal would be to have them both on to some extent.
3. Ideally it should be wired into the pump timer and shut the power off to it when the pump is not running.

Another question please - when is it best to run the pump if you say you are running it only for 8-12 hrs a day?

At the cheapest rate if on tiered electricity rates?

If the rate is std all day - is it better to run during the day or at night? Also, should the pump run when people are swimming or better to have off?

Thanks!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bama Rambler said:
1. That's individual to each pool and you'll just have to play with them to get yours aimed correctly.
2. Optimal would be to have them both on to some extent.
3. Ideally it should be wired into the pump timer and shut the power off to it when the pump is not running.

I have the SWG, Pump, Heater and Light all as seperate plugs. No switches or timers.

What should I do when I turn off my pump? I have been turning off (unplugging) the heater and SWG.

When I run the pump, I have been plugging in the pump, heater and SWG.

Pump is using 240v and others 120v.

How would I hook up a switch for all 3 and how would I add a timer? All equipment is outdoor.

20130704_093900.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.