Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump - how long should it run?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump - how long should it run?

We just got our pool opened (new vinyl). PB says that pump should be run 24x7. Is that true? Should I not just be running it for a portion of the day?

Please help me understand how to determine the duration, settings and run time of the pump please.

Thanks!

16'x34' Inground Vinyl Pool. 65,500L. Hayward S244T2 24” Sand Filter. Hayward 1hp Super Pump. Raypak PR266 EN 266,000 btu,. AquaRite SWCG. Aqualamp LED 2 w/ remote

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump - how long should it run

You can start with 12 hours a day and monitor it back it down from there.

Here's the Pool School article: pool-school/pump_run_time
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Since you have a VS pump you could theoretically run it at about 1000 rpm 24 hours a day but you probably don't need to.
    BF gave you good advice. That's a good place to start.
    What speed did the PB tell you to run it at?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly
    You can start with 12 hours a day and monitor it back it down from there.

Here's the Pool School article: pool-school/pump_run_time
    Thanks!
    16'x34' Inground Vinyl Pool. 65,500L. Hayward S244T2 24” Sand Filter. Hayward 1hp Super Pump. Raypak PR266 EN 266,000 btu,. AquaRite SWCG. Aqualamp LED 2 w/ remote

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Since you have a VS pump you could theoretically run it at about 1000 rpm 24 hours a day but you probably don't need to.
    BF gave you good advice. That's a good place to start.
    What speed did the PB tell you to run it at?
    PB said I can run it at V1 (1500 rpm) or lower, as long as the demand for the gas heater allows it to kick in.

Will read through the link BF provided.

6. Back To Top    #6

Re: Pump - how long should it run?

Read through the link and makes good sense.

A couple of questions please:

1. What is the best way to direct returns for optimal circulation?
    2. Should I be having both skimmer and main drain suction on always or slect between one or the other?
    3. SWG - should I turn that off when turning off the pump, or will it simply shutoff since there is no flow detected? PB asked me to leave it at Auto with 35% setting and to bump it to 50% if we plan to have a party.

Thanks again!

7. Back To Top    #7

1. That's individual to each pool and you'll just have to play with them to get yours aimed correctly.
    2. Optimal would be to have them both on to some extent.
    3. Ideally it should be wired into the pump timer and shut the power off to it when the pump is not running.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Another question please - when is it best to run the pump if you say you are running it only for 8-12 hrs a day?

At the cheapest rate if on tiered electricity rates?

If the rate is std all day - is it better to run during the day or at night? Also, should the pump run when people are swimming or better to have off?

Thanks!!

9. Back To Top    #9

The best thing is to split up the run time into two or three blocks spread around the clock. Everything else is personal preference and electrical rate issues.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    The best thing is to split up the run time into two or three blocks spread around the clock. Everything else is personal preference and electrical rate issues.
    Thank you.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    1. That's individual to each pool and you'll just have to play with them to get yours aimed correctly.
    2. Optimal would be to have them both on to some extent.
    3. Ideally it should be wired into the pump timer and shut the power off to it when the pump is not running.
    I have the SWG, Pump, Heater and Light all as seperate plugs. No switches or timers.

What should I do when I turn off my pump? I have been turning off (unplugging) the heater and SWG.

When I run the pump, I have been plugging in the pump, heater and SWG.

Pump is using 240v and others 120v.

How would I hook up a switch for all 3 and how would I add a timer? All equipment is outdoor.

12. Back To Top    #12

I had an older analog timer that had 220v and 110v outs on it and had 1 220v in. It came from a pool store in the early 90's
    25,000 Gal, Plaster, IG, Auto CL, Waterfall, IntelFlo VS Pump, Dolphin DX6 Robot, TF 100 test kit, Merlin Safety Cover Lots of Trees!, South Eastern Pa

13. Back To Top    #13

This what I have and LOVE it.

http://intermatic.com/Products/Pool_...53_Series.aspx

It can control 3 circuits - you might need to upgrade for 4 if you want to manage all together.
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover