Intex 16x48 saltwater pool with new sand filter - help

Jun 29, 2013
Missouri
This is my second summer with my Intex Ultra frame pool 16x48, 5060 gallons. I used the filter cartridge/saltwater combo last summer and had beautiful water. Last week I upgraded to the Krystal Clear Sand Filter 12", Model SF10110, and my water has been cloudy since the first day of installation. I backwashed/rinsed the new sand several times, but b/w water always appeared clear in the glass tube, while water in pool is cloudy. I also need a recommendation for a COMPATIBLE and hardworking auto vac for my intex ultra frame 16x48. (and economical)

Thank you,

mp

Welcome to the forum. :lol: It sounds like you are hoping the auto-vac will clear the cloudiness in your pool....very doubtful

Can you post water chemistry test results so we might gain some idea why your water is cloudy. Without those results, we are simply guessing wildly.

How long did you let the filter run before you backwashed? I heard someone say that sometimes the more dirt that sits on top of the sand in the filter the more smaller particles it wil pick up....maybe stop backwashing so much and let it run for a day or two...then backwash it really well and be sure to rinse. My sandfilter cleaned my brown water to crystal clear in just a few short days.

This is my first year having a pool.

Thank everyone for your replies. I'm at two weeks now with dirty cloudy water and lots of sand in my pool. We haven't been able to use the pool at all since I installed the new sand filter and I'm tempted to reconnect my cartridge filter. (Ha) Can't even try to vacuum since suction slows and or stops. Water in strainer/filter basket stays about 1/2 full so I've checked every hose and connection for leaks and find none. I also have tiny air bubbles at return where water goes back into pool. Every connection is tight so I'm at a loss about what to do next. No need to backwash because backwash water is always clean and strainer basket has never had debris so there are no clogs. My water tested perfect at pool supply store so he sent me home to check for leaks, which I have done, and I have NO idea what to do next.

You need to post your test results. You have sand in your pool? dumb question but do you have too much sand in the filter? Did you reverse the connections and have them backwards or have the backwash connection going to the pool? Stranger things have happened.

This may sound like a dumb question, but it needs to be asked. Did you use the recommended type and amount of pool filter sand? Not under or overfilled? And this one may sound ever more dumb but we've seen it before... is the filter valve turned to "FILTER" and not to "RECIRCULATE" or any other setting for that matter? If everything else is good, then having a lot of sand in the pool sounds like one of the laterals at the bottom of the sand housing may be loose. This would require you to empty out the sand and check all internals for proper attachment as well as verify that nothing is cracked or missing.

Again, thank everyone who replied to my questions. I tool sand filter apart, reassembled and reconnected. Seems to be working fine! Yea! Now, to figure out his to connect my zodiac ranger to get the sand on bottom of pool vacuumed. Does anyone know what type if adapter I need to get so zodiacs hose will fit?

My water was cloudy, bubbles out the return and pump skimmer only half full when I 1st installed my intex sand filter. Chemistry was perfect. I had a leak in my suction side tubing. I fixed it up and its perfect. Pump skimmer is 100% full at all times. My cloudiness was billions of little bubbles.

since you checked the tubing for leaks maybe it was a leak between the sand filter and it's multivalve that you fixed when you took everything apart.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.