Adding Inlets/Outlets

Jul 3, 2013
Hello, bran new to the forum. I nave read quite a bit, and most thread have links to other threads that have pics of a lot that Im not looking for lol. Im looking for the fitting to add a new inlet/outlet to the pool. Id imagine its something like a sandwich fitting but I couldnt find one at the pool store, hardwar store or online. Everybody just thinks I'm nuts.

Forgive me if Its there and I missed it but this pool ownership is turning into more than I bargained for.

I thought I was just gonna go buy a couple hundred dollar pool and cool off, yeah right.

So... I just recently set up my 42 tall 14 foot intex metal frame pool.

Today I bought the Sand filter, upgraded pump, the 2-2x20 solar mats and a saltwater kit.

My daughter is not even 2 years old yet but she really loves the water. She had an absolute field day in the pool while we were filling it and so we have decided to leave the pool only halfway full so she can touch the bottom. So currently I have the outlet and inlet hoses draped over the side and tied onto zip lock baggies full of sand to keep them submerged. Id like to have them attached to the inlet/outlets of the pool but the water level is too low.

Somebody please point me to the fitting I need or help me understand how to add a new outlet / inlet to the sidewall.

My other option is to build a toddler training platform , Ive seen them available but they are like another $400 I dont want to spend, I was going to build one out of pvc piping but don't have a good idea as to what to use for the actual walking platform. Thought maybe some canvas I could stretch tight and twine to the pvc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and forgive me if this has all been answered before.,

If you don't have the stomach for it, you can do what I did. See my post around here, I just plumbed some hard pipes over the edge nad using a cut pool noodle over the post nad zip tide them to the metal post. It's very secure and when she's ready, just take them out. I have the same pool as you BTW. Look under my post "new pool setup Intex swg/ozone unit".

We made platforms for our pool so our 3 year old could stand but keep the higher water level. We made 2 of them that are 2'x2' squares, and about 10" or so high. We used PVC to make a frame and drilled holes throughout them so that they could fill with water and sink. We then took some plexiglass (1/4" I think?) and drilled 8 holes - 2 at each corner - and then zip tied them to the PVC. We took a router around the edge of the plexiglass to smooth and round them so there were no rough or sharp edges. They work really well and are easy to move around in the water. They do hurt like a SOB if you forget they are there and run into them, though!

I'd thought about doing similar stuff for my little girls, but have just ended up making them wear life-jackets unless I'm right there with them. They love it both in and out of the life-jackets, though more when out. They are swimming half way across the pool on their own, doing cannon balls off the ladder, picking rings up off the bottom. When I can't be right by their side they grudgingly put on their life-jackets and continue to have a ball. This gives me time to do maintenance in and around the pool.

Thanks you all so far for your comments so far. Yister, I have plenty of stomach for it, just don't have and cant find the parts. Id like to hardpipe eventually, but im not going to be hard piping over the edge, will do that once I find the fitting.

Wozzukes, I thought about using plexiglass but my wife fears that it will be a little too slippery, do you not have this issue? . Im also planning on going a little bigger than 2x2 but I love the router on the edge idea.

Msgtdan, on /off the platform, with/without a life jacket my daughter is still too young to be in the pool without supervision. But being able to touch the ground will give her a sense of independence that nothing else can do. Crazy how they love it so much.

When my daughter was not able to reach the pool's floor, we required she wear a life jacket and have an adult in the pool. After a few swims, the life jacket was not an issue for her and just part of the process (like a bike helmet). We also had a few good floats for times without a vest. We still required an adult in the pool with her.

my intex sand filter came with the necessary plungers, strainer assembly, and inlet assembly. if you don't have those items, you'll need:

1. 2 plunger valves, intex spare part: #10747E
2. strainer assembly (strainer nut, flat strainer rubber washer, threaded strainer connector, and strainer grid) #10256, 10255, 10744, 10253
3. inlet assembly (strainer nut, flat strainer rubber washer, threaded strainer connector, adjustbable pool inlet nozzle) #10256, 10255, 10744, 11074

once you have those items, you can use an exacto knife to cut out the holes.

Thank you, I know I have most of that but not the plunger valves, I was going to buy a couple of them but did not see how they would preform a water tight seal through the wall.

I will check all my parts and compare with your list to see what Im missing

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sounds like you're heading in the hardware direction to keep the water level low and that's cool. You have to be comfortable with your unique situation.

That said, although it's alot of fun for them to splash around in a shallow pool, many (not all) kids will learn to swim faster if you don't allow them the opportunity to touch the bottom.

When my kiddos were little we had them swim in life vests made for small children that had removable layers of foam inside. As they gained confidence, we removed a layer of foam. They became proficient swimmers at a very young age which benefited them in the pool and wherever they went.

It breaks my heart to hear about kids drowning each summer, so I understand your concern. A home pool can be a great tool to teach the little ones the life saving art of swimming, and also a great danger.

Best wishes with whatever you do.

Jim

ON EDIT: Here is the vest we used and I would recommend: http://www.swimways.com/power-swimr-small-p-17.aspx

You can also see a great video there that shows the entire 1-2-3 system of swim training kids from babies to toddlers. It really worked for us!

Im having all kinds of issues. The heating system is working great water is above 90, still have not made my new inlets, Just never have the right adapters and right fitting to make it all go together. The salt water system had a very nice large 2" diameter hose with it. I was trying to find more but Im not having much luck. also need an adapter to connect my large inlet I will install to a smaller 1 1/4 hose for a vaccum. In order to hook anything up I end up having to steal an adapter or a hose from something else and then dont have what I need for the next step. Id be happy to have a monstrous box of miscelaneous supplies.
Salt water chlorine generator seems to not be making any chlorine. The salt level is good, and I can see the thing working but the chlorine levels arn't rising. I through some oxidizer in there thinking maybe that will do it.

Seems everything is against me lol. Tempting to just go ahead and hard pipe now, but even then, I would need a bunch of intex adapters to go to hard pipe and would be in the same boat.

I have a decent test kit yes. Stupid pool store, they didnt say anything about having to stabalize first. My pool is only hlafway full so its about 2000 gallons. How much bleach should I throw in there?
And how long should we wait to get in?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.