New To Pool Chemistry

Jul 3, 2013
It's my first year trying to maintain a Intex temporary pool with a volume of about 5000 gallons. I have found really good info and help on this website that has made me understand everything a lot more. I just had a couple of questions about the set up for the first couple of days. I will be using the four day shock process to set up the pool with the proper water chemistry, and afterwards I will be using the BBB method to maintain the water chemistry.

During the four day shock process I will also be using bleach to increase chlorine levels to 6 ppm in order to be able to use the pool during those first four days.

I already bought my test kit and all the other materials needed to maintain the pool. The only thing I did not buy is the Polyquat 60 Algaecide which is recommended in the Guide for Temporary Pools. Is this even necessary if I check my chlorine levels daily and maintain it within the 3-4ppm range? Also after I establish my CYA levels around 30, will they decrease with time? Is CYA something I am going to need to replenish?

Also before finding this forum it seems most websites recommend shocking the pool once a week. I would like to hear some of your thoughts about this? Is it a good idea, or would I be fine just by checking my water chemistry daily and doing the necessary adjustments.

By the way thanks for all the help and knowledge so far, and I just know I will continue learning by being part of such a great forum.

Thanks

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Junior2586 said:
I already bought my test kit and all the other materials needed to maintain the pool.
:goodjob:

Junior2586 said:
I will be using the four day shock process to set up the pool with the proper water chemistry, and afterwards I will be using the BBB method to maintain the water chemistry.
It is not necessary to shock the pool upon initial fill-up. Here's what you need to do:
  • 1. Add a start-up dose of 30 ppm stabilizer (CYA). For your pool, this is ~21 oz of granular stabilizer. Put the granular stabilizer in a sock and place it either in the skimmer or hang it in front of a return jet. The fill handle on an old bleach bottle filled with water provides a good implement from which to hang the sock in front of a return.
    2. Add an initial dose of around 4-5 ppm chlorine (plain liquid bleach recommended). Since chlorine is depleted daily, you need to test the chlorine (FC) level daily and add the necessary amount to keep it within this range.
    3. Adjust your pH to between 7.2 and 7.8

Junior2586 said:
The only thing I did not buy is the Polyquat 60 Algaecide which is recommended in the Guide for Temporary Pools. Is this even necessary if I check my chlorine levels daily and maintain it within the 3-4ppm range?
No, it is not necessary. Adequate chlorine is all you need. Keep in mind that chlorine gets depleted each day and therefore must be tested and replenished daily, especially during the swim season.

Junior2586 said:
Also after I establish my CYA levels around 30, will they decrease with time? Is CYA something I am going to need to replenish?
It will gradually get diluted with top-off and rainwater. I would test it once a month and add only when necessary.

Junior2586 said:
Also before finding this forum it seems most websites recommend shocking the pool once a week. I would like to hear some of your thoughts about this? Is it a good idea, or would I be fine just by checking my water chemistry daily and doing the necessary adjustments.
Shocking once a week is not only unnecessary, but is not recommended. Many members (myself included) have not shocked the pool in years. Shocking is only done when necessary, as defined Here and never according to an arbitrary time table.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.