Thinking of Intelliflo VS+SVRS pump

mhoy

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 3, 2013
Sunnyvale, CA
Neighbors and us are tired of the noise from the current 1 hp motor and I figure a variable speed system would help this out to a large degree. And over the long run save a bit on the power bills. While the Polaris sweep has been trouble free (other than getting stuck in a corner) I'm pretty sure I'll ditch the booster and go with a pool robot of some kind too.

I think I like the idea of SVRS safety with kids in the pool, but I'm uncertain how well this plays with solar arrays 2 stories up.

The front runner is an IntelliPro Variable Speed Pool Pump P6E6VS4H-209L at about $1000. So I'd rather not make a mistake of this magnitude. . .

Since this is a 3HP pump vs the old 1HP, I think with the correct automatic valves I could also remove the mostly unused 1HP spa booster pump too.

The previous owner basically removed the solar controls from the system and only use the solar controller as a timer, so a Pentair Sun Touch may be what I need to keep everything compatible.

Does this seem like a DIY project?
NOTE: pool is getting plenty of use right now and I don't want to mess it up. :-0

Your thoughts appreciated.

More reading has brought me to a different conclusion.... SVRS may not be happy with solar and 3HP is over kill for my setup. ARGH, so many new things to think about.

With a 1.5 dual speed motor, would 1/2 speed be sufficient to lift to the panels on the roof of a two story building? That's kind of what leads me to VS so that I can use a low flow for filtering and kick it up for solar panel use. Need to get an actuator for the solar diverter and perhaps just re-wire the Goldline controller and see if it works.

Thinking I need to get a look at the solar panels, what should I be looking for?

I run my solar only on high and low when solar not needed. Although recently I screwed up my new timer and manually left the solar on and apparently the pump was able to keep water moving through the solar on low, but it was primed on high speed.

Thanks guys. The smaller VS pumps seem attractive. I don't know how they would interact with an older Goldline solar controller or if it would be easier to just replace it... I will at least need an actuator.

Jason: How do you control your solar + vs pump? I don't see a controller in your list...

Mark

I have a 2 speed pump. Until about 2 weeks ago I just manually flipped a switch on the motor. Now the ProLogic has the timers and speed selection built in. Also runs the SWG and will control my solar when I get around to adding the actuator and solar temp sensor.

The Hayward web site is less than helpful in comparing their own pumps. I've not seen a simple comparison of the differences between a SuperPump VS and the Max-Flo VS. The energy savings calculator and flow graphs seem to favor the Max-Flo by a slight degree. Not sure why the Max-Flo is about $50 less. Both qualify for a $100 the local electric company (PG&E) rebate.

They make two different models (MaxFlo, SuperFlo) so that they will be drop in replacements for the corresponding single speed pumps. There is no significant difference other than those physical compatibility issues and the small efficiency difference.

Thanks Jason. If one of them lines up a bit better with my current WhisperFlo housing it may make replacement a bit simpler, but I guess a bit of plastic won't hurt. Max Flo also has some plumbing bits which helps out.

While I'm replacing things, which one way valves work best as the ones to/from the solar appear to leak a fair bit and leaves are coming out of the skimmer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There is no check valve on the way up to the panels. Seems to drain back through the system back to via overflow and leaves go back into pool. Should there be a check valve to prevent or is this for drain back?? Any plumbing how-to 's ???

Thanks again
Mark

Excellent. Thanks!! The current installation has numerous back to back 45+45 right up to the Jandy 3 way. Guess I'll be trying the "heat up" the pvc trick to see if I can re-use the 3 way as neither of the Hayward VS pumps will line up with the current pump. That said, what's a reasonable online store for parts? Leslie's pool seems a bit pricy on fittings and such.

While looking at many controllers, the Hayward PL-PLUS Aqua Plus 40,000 Gallon Chlorination and Control along with the Hayward Max Pro look to be a way of controlling my pump, solar and getting a salt system in a combined package. Pool Supply World appears to support TFP and it's likely my first choice. Not sure which robot controller to get yet...

I got the Intelliflo VS+SVRS pump and (mostly) regret the SVRS part:
- can't run a suction side cleaner anymore
- in terms of safety SVSRS is not really necessary if there are 2+ water skimmers/inlets

I am not an expert but I suspect that solar shouldn't give you any issues with SVRS

on the plus side with a SVRS it's good to know that all possible precautions have been taken.

The 3 HP pump of Intelliflow vs the current 1HP is kinda of overkill, didn't know about the 1.5 HP Hayward VS pumps (for less $$ too). However I do have only one overflow and one bottom drain with two in the spa area so SVRS precaution would be a nice to have.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.