couple quick ???'s

Jun 15, 2013
Palos Heights, IL
Ok, I am new to the site and new to the bbb method. Just received my tf100 test kit and am hoping for a couple pointers to get going. Am currently without normal internet so not sure if pool calculator working right with Droid phone. My readings I got are: cl&br basically zero as wanted to wait til got kit plus couple storms last week. TA-80, CH 250, PH, 7.8, CYA 20. 13,500 gallon round above ground(24'x4'). What said to add is 112 oz bleach, 96oz stabilizer(bleach again??), 63oz of baking soda and 11 oz of muriatic acid. First question, do I really need the muriatic? Then second is the calculator relatively accurate when using then droid phones? Sorry if covered elsewhere, but my net access is a joke on the phone. Thanks much for any/all help. Would have more chlorine but wanted to wait after storms to get the kit, so I knew that would be low/nonexistent.

The calculator works correctly on Droid phones, if somewhat inconveniently.

Adding chlorine is a high priority, and adding CYA should be done fairly soon. Everything else can wait, and may not be necessary at all depending on how things go.

Stabilizer is not the same a bleach. It has several names: CYA, cyanuric acid, stabilizer, conditioner, and others. You are losing chlorine fairly rapidly to sunlight because your CYA level is too low.

You could definitely use some ma, your ph is a little high. I can't see the stabalizer going bad. I would also check your ta. That will affect how your ph acts. Mine is high and because of that my ph keeps rising.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

kevin,

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. You need to be able to understand WHY you need muriatic rather than someone telling you you need it. The whole point in BBB is to get you to test accurately and then to understand what the results mean and what to do about those results.

Poolcalculator will not fix or maintain your pool. It is only a device to calc dosages for you. You must determine when and why you need certain chemistry adjustments based on accurate test results.

If you can ever get the pool calculator to show on a pc or mac save the page as an html file to your hard drive, then you can access it even if you don't have an internet connection. For a long time I was on dial-up and that's what I did.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, I put two gallons bleach in last night, tested tonight still nothing. Added what I had left of stabilizer2.5full cups of the hth stuff) and another gallon bleach. Ph seemed lower today then yesterday, 7.5 is what I saw. Didn't bother with any other tests today as chlorine was still not reading.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.