Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: couple quick ???'s

1. Back To Top    #1

couple quick ???'s

Ok, I am new to the site and new to the bbb method. Just received my tf100 test kit and am hoping for a couple pointers to get going. Am currently without normal internet so not sure if pool calculator working right with Droid phone. My readings I got are: cl&br basically zero as wanted to wait til got kit plus couple storms last week. TA-80, CH 250, PH, 7.8, CYA 20. 13,500 gallon round above ground(24'x4'). What said to add is 112 oz bleach, 96oz stabilizer(bleach again??), 63oz of baking soda and 11 oz of muriatic acid. First question, do I really need the muriatic? Then second is the calculator relatively accurate when using then droid phones? Sorry if covered elsewhere, but my net access is a joke on the phone. Thanks much for any/all help. Would have more chlorine but wanted to wait after storms to get the kit, so I knew that would be low/nonexistent.
    24' abg approx 48" deep. Sand filter(unknown brand) possibly hayward pump..details to be corrected later..Sunsetter hot tub approx 7'x7'x40"

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: couple quick ???'s

What does your water look like?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

The calculator works correctly on Droid phones, if somewhat inconveniently.

Adding chlorine is a high priority, and adding CYA should be done fairly soon. Everything else can wait, and may not be necessary at all depending on how things go.

Stabilizer is not the same a bleach. It has several names: CYA, cyanuric acid, stabilizer, conditioner, and others. You are losing chlorine fairly rapidly to sunlight because your CYA level is too low.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Try downloading the app pool pal from the play store. It works great for me. Almost as good as the pool calculator on this forum.

24'x54'' AG
    Appox. 13800 gallons
    150lb Hayward sand filter
    1.5hp pump
    Well water

5. Back To Top    #5

Dave, water is currently clear. Ok I need stabilizer, what about the muriatic acid? Is that a must add? I'll see if I have any stabilizer, does that stuff go bad if stored in a garage? Thanks much guys.
    24' abg approx 48" deep. Sand filter(unknown brand) possibly hayward pump..details to be corrected later..Sunsetter hot tub approx 7'x7'x40"

6. Back To Top    #6

You could definitely use some ma, your ph is a little high. I can't see the stabalizer going bad. I would also check your ta. That will affect how your ph acts. Mine is high and because of that my ph keeps rising.

24'x54'' AG
    Appox. 13800 gallons
    150lb Hayward sand filter
    1.5hp pump
    Well water

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

kevin,

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. You need to be able to understand WHY you need muriatic rather than someone telling you you need it. The whole point in BBB is to get you to test accurately and then to understand what the results mean and what to do about those results.

Poolcalculator will not fix or maintain your pool. It is only a device to calc dosages for you. You must determine when and why you need certain chemistry adjustments based on accurate test results.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

If you can ever get the pool calculator to show on a pc or mac save the page as an html file to your hard drive, then you can access it even if you don't have an internet connection. For a long time I was on dial-up and that's what I did.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by durandetto
    Try downloading the app pool pal from the play store. It works great for me. Almost as good as the pool calculator on this forum.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Absolutely! I use Pool Pal every day.
    16 x 32 In-Ground vinyl, 21,000 Gallons, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward Tiger Shark robotic cleaner, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by durandetto

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Brilliant, I can now work more accurately when at my friends pool. Thanks.
    400,000 Litre in ground infinity pool, with 40,000 litre holding tank (116 235.703 04 gallon). Vinyl liner.
    Two Astralpool Cantabric sand filters, 900mm diameter, each with 550kg of sand.
    Two ESI MP6 1.5kw 3 phase pumps.

11. Back To Top    #11

Ok, I put two gallons bleach in last night, tested tonight still nothing. Added what I had left of stabilizer2.5full cups of the hth stuff) and another gallon bleach. Ph seemed lower today then yesterday, 7.5 is what I saw. Didn't bother with any other tests today as chlorine was still not reading.