Polaris motor cleaner overheating and shutting down

Jul 2, 2013
I'm having problems with my Polaris cleaner pump running for a few minutes and then shutting off. I have replaced the motor, breaker, switch and wiring. I have had an electrician check the voltage. The motor is rate 6.4/12.8 amps and is pulling 8.7 amps. After motor cools off it will restart. During running the Polaris (360 model) seems to work normally.

There appears to be an extra load on the impeller. When the motor was replaced, was the impeller inspected for damage? Also, if that model has a filter screen, you might check that for blockage. Does the pump, pump water while it is running?

I understand you replaced the motor 3x but did you inspect the impeller and housing each time the motor was replaced? Blindly replacing the motor may not solve the problem. Also, the seal should have been replaced each time the motor was replaced. Lastly, you should inspect the inside of the impeller housing to see if there is any interference.

dlbranch said:
Do you have any suggestions as to what would cause the overload, as I have replaced the breaker, wiring, and control switch.
First off, is the pump running on 230 volts or 115? If it's wired for 115 then a reading of 8.7 amps is fine. Wiring will only cause over amperage if it's sized wrong and creates a significant voltage drop. Loose connections will also result in voltage drops.

When it comes to pumps, mas985's suggestions invariably point in the right direction. As he has said, something's going on in the wet end. Something mechanical is the most likely problem. Something restricting the flow or something binding the motor shaft.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.