Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Calculating pH Impact of Cal-Hypo, Bleach, & Other Chlorines

1. Back To Top    #1

Calculating pH Impact of Cal-Hypo, Bleach, & Other Chlorines

The Pool Calculator's "Effects of Adding Chemicals" helps me estimate the pH impact of Trichlor, but not Cal-Hypo or Bleach. My 50,000-gal community pool uses a Trichlor feeder, and I'm investigating the possibility of reducing Trichlor usage and combining with Bleach or Cal-Hypo for a net pH neutral chlorine strategy. Maybe even a slight list to the high pH side, as our make-up water is acidic and the Trichlor is always pulling it down as well. Anyway, how might I approach Cal-Hypo or Bleach from a pH perspective? Would be great if I could say X amount of Trichlor would be offset by Y amount of [high-pH chlorine source like Cal-Hypo or Bleach]. Then I might attempt to split the chlorinating task accordingly between the two for a pH-neutral effect.

Thanks!!
    50-Yr Old, 50,000-Gal, In-Ground Plaster-Covered Brick

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Calculating pH Impact of Cal-Hypo, Bleach, & Other Chlor

Calcium hypochlorite and bleach are essentially pH neutral.

3. Back To Top    #3

Bleach has a neutral net pH change, as does Cal-hypo. That's why the pool calculator doesn't show it.

That was easy.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Fascinating! Thank you both!

We have low CH here (western NC), and there's a giant tub of Cal-Hypo in the storage room, so I may focus on the Cal-Hypo rather than the Bleach. Perhaps if I bring enough of that into play then I can phase out that pesky, acidic Trichlor..

Thanks!!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

If you haven't tested for CYA, you should.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

The CYA test is a strange one, and I'm never quite sure I'm performing it correctly. But yes I'm doing it, and that little black dot finally disappears completely when the scale reads somewhere in the 30 - 40 ppm range.

I'm rapidly coming around to ya'lls "BBB" philosophy, though at the moment I'm seeing it more as a focus on chlorination, getting that chlorine in the way that best balances other secondary measures like CYA or CH.

This forum is fantastic! The grace with which the forum experts tolerate the newbies -- and for so many years now -- is amazing.

Thanks!!

7. Back To Top    #7

OK. Made the mistake of trying to buy sodium hypo from a pool supply. None of the stores I contacted had it. Of course they have lots of other products they recommend instead. AND they use the ruse that bleach is high pH and will monkey with the pool pH. That directly contradicts what Richard is saying. What going on here? Salesmanship?

8. Back To Top    #8

Yep, they are trying to pool store you.

What is your pool's surface? Plaster, vinyl, or fiberglass?
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

Plaster. So since we have really low CH in our make-up water I was open to Cal-Hypo. May still be. But handling that stuff is so unnerving. Noxious fumes when you open that big bucket, and you know years are being erased from your life. I'm imagining that opening a jug of bleach and pouring it directly into the water is less dangerous than wrestling that huge Cal-Hypo bucket and then having to pre-dissolve the granules.

What's the cost-effective approach to buying bleach for a 50,000 pool?

10. Back To Top    #10

In most cases most cost effective is to buy 12% bleach from a pool store or cleaning supply company. However, sometimes places like WalMart/Target/Aldis etc are less expensive. It all depends on what your local prices are
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School