too small strainer connector-help!

Jun 30, 2013
New pool..dumb question! I have the 18 x 48 ultra frame and installed the strainer connectors that came with the pool. I upgraded to the sand filter that just arrived today and notice the strainer connectors allow more water to flow through...makes sense. My problem is the pool is full of water! What do I do now? Drain the water down to the lowest valve to replace them, try to replace them quickly with water rushing out all over, or go with whats there for now and replace when I drain pool next? Ive been waiting for this sand filter to get all set up and now I may have a delay...ugh!!

Oh. I think I see what you are talking about (I have never dealt with them). I thought you just meant hooking up the hoses at the filter ... not actually changing the fitting.

I think I saw a post where someone did this by putting the new fitting in a bowl that a person on the inside of the pool held against the wall while the other person removed the fitting from the outside and then was able to reach in the hole to grab the new fitting and get it installed. So you only lost the water that is in the bowl.

HUH?! That's an idea! I guess its ok to let some water out that hole then..even if we mess up the bowl trick? Just quickly get the fittings back on and tight? It all sounds like a stressful job! Would you definitely advise to NOT go ahead a run the filter through the smaller strainer?

Honestly, I am not exactly sure what you are talking about ... because "strainer" is not a term we typically use. Add some pictures if you think that will help someone better understand your concern.

Max flow through a 1 1/4 inch pipe is about 1600 gallons per hour, so your 2650 would be restricted by the smaller opening to the lower rate. Another better option would be to leave the existing intake fitting alone, (just close it), and install a through the wall skimmer, for your intake (the Hayward 1091 works well with that pump), you should still replace the outflow though.

Jbizzle, the intex 2650 comes with a larger intake strainer. I know what he is referring to, I didn't use mine, I installed the Hayward skimmer instead.

Thanks for the clarification.

Actually your statement is not true ... there is no true "maximum flow rate" through a given pipe. You will just have higher head loss and thus reduced flow, but it could very well still be > 1600 gph

Okay, maybe not max flow, but max low pressure gravity fed flow on the suction side of the pump is 1500gph. Yes you can get more through the pipe, but it will put more load on the pump and more stress on the system. http://flexpvc.com/WaterFlowBasedOnPipeSize.shtml The 2650 Intex Sand filter only has a .95 hp pump, so reducing any restrictions on flow is to your benefit. Also, restricting on the suction side of the pump can cause cavitation at the impeller.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I thank you for the help. We actually have the 1.5 hose size, it just has the smaller strainer cover, ie lower max flow rate, on BOTH the intake and output connectors. The new connectors that came with the sand filter didn't have this "small strainer" on either, so it could handle the increased flow. We did the bowl trick and IT WORKED!!! We only lost about 3-4 gallons instead of this river rushing out of the holes!! Perfect idea and something that if it were videotaped would've been on Funniest Home Videos! Filter pump up and running great. Love to know there is help when needed-Thanks again!
btw..would love to have a through the wall skimmer. One step at a time!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.