Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: too small strainer connector-help!

1. Back To Top    #1

too small strainer connector-help!

New pool..dumb question! I have the 18 x 48 ultra frame and installed the strainer connectors that came with the pool. I upgraded to the sand filter that just arrived today and notice the strainer connectors allow more water to flow through...makes sense. My problem is the pool is full of water! What do I do now? Drain the water down to the lowest valve to replace them, try to replace them quickly with water rushing out all over, or go with whats there for now and replace when I drain pool next? Ive been waiting for this sand filter to get all set up and now I may have a delay...ugh!!
    18' x 48" Intex Ultra Frame, 2650 Sand Filter Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: too small strainer connector-help!

Welcome to TFP!!!

I think you need to plug the holes (suction and return lines) in the pool so the water will not drain.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

How? When I remove it to change it out from the inside of the pool, the water will rush out until I can get the bigger one in. Make sense?

4. Back To Top    #4

Oh. I think I see what you are talking about (I have never dealt with them). I thought you just meant hooking up the hoses at the filter ... not actually changing the fitting.

I think I saw a post where someone did this by putting the new fitting in a bowl that a person on the inside of the pool held against the wall while the other person removed the fitting from the outside and then was able to reach in the hole to grab the new fitting and get it installed. So you only lost the water that is in the bowl.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

HUH?! That's an idea! I guess its ok to let some water out that hole then..even if we mess up the bowl trick? Just quickly get the fittings back on and tight? It all sounds like a stressful job! Would you definitely advise to NOT go ahead a run the filter through the smaller strainer?

6. Back To Top    #6

Honestly, I am not exactly sure what you are talking about ... because "strainer" is not a term we typically use. Add some pictures if you think that will help someone better understand your concern.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

Max flow through a 1 1/4 inch pipe is about 1600 gallons per hour, so your 2650 would be restricted by the smaller opening to the lower rate. Another better option would be to leave the existing intake fitting alone, (just close it), and install a through the wall skimmer, for your intake (the Hayward 1091 works well with that pump), you should still replace the outflow though.

Jbizzle, the intex 2650 comes with a larger intake strainer. I know what he is referring to, I didn't use mine, I installed the Hayward skimmer instead.
    8638 gallon 20'x52" Intex ultra frame round AG. 2650 gph Intex Sand Filter. Intex krystal Klear SWG. (newer model that includes copper ion generation) Hayward 1091LX skimmer, Kreepy Krauly lil shark. Taylor K-2006 w/speed stir and sample sizer. New this year, Intex PureSpa - dichlor-> bleach method for sanitizing.
    New pool, 16'x36' (approx 18000 gal) in ground pool, Haywood DE filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for the clarification.

Actually your statement is not true ... there is no true "maximum flow rate" through a given pipe. You will just have higher head loss and thus reduced flow, but it could very well still be > 1600 gph
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Okay, maybe not max flow, but max low pressure gravity fed flow on the suction side of the pump is 1500gph. Yes you can get more through the pipe, but it will put more load on the pump and more stress on the system. http://flexpvc.com/WaterFlowBasedOnPipeSize.shtml The 2650 Intex Sand filter only has a .95 hp pump, so reducing any restrictions on flow is to your benefit. Also, restricting on the suction side of the pump can cause cavitation at the impeller.
    8638 gallon 20'x52" Intex ultra frame round AG. 2650 gph Intex Sand Filter. Intex krystal Klear SWG. (newer model that includes copper ion generation) Hayward 1091LX skimmer, Kreepy Krauly lil shark. Taylor K-2006 w/speed stir and sample sizer. New this year, Intex PureSpa - dichlor-> bleach method for sanitizing.
    New pool, 16'x36' (approx 18000 gal) in ground pool, Haywood DE filter

10. Back To Top    #10

I totally agree that the system will work better with larger pipes ... especially on the suction side.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

I thank you for the help. We actually have the 1.5 hose size, it just has the smaller strainer cover, ie lower max flow rate, on BOTH the intake and output connectors. The new connectors that came with the sand filter didn't have this "small strainer" on either, so it could handle the increased flow. We did the bowl trick and IT WORKED!!! We only lost about 3-4 gallons instead of this river rushing out of the holes!! Perfect idea and something that if it were videotaped would've been on Funniest Home Videos! Filter pump up and running great. Love to know there is help when needed-Thanks again!
    btw..would love to have a through the wall skimmer. One step at a time!

12. Back To Top    #12

PS...I am a she...not a he. Learning this on my own! Ive read so much in the last three weeks about this stuff. Its amazing. Loving it.

13. Back To Top    #13

That is so awesome that the bowl trick worked. So glad you decided to try it
    Jason, TFP Moderator