Thread: Can Not Keep Chlorine In

1. Back To Top    #1

Can Not Keep Chlorine In

FC 1.3
    CC 0
    PH 7.3
    CYA 75
    CH 245

Water is clear. Did over night test 4.5 next morning 2.0. How can water be so clear but you have something growing in it?
    IG: 11' x 26' Fiberglass (6,700 Gallons), Hayward 1 HP 2 Speed Pump, Hayward Sand Filter, P4 Aqua Logic Controller, T-15 Salt Cell. TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can Not Keep Chlorine In

Something may be hidden (under steps, etc.) or just trying to get started. FC is way too low for your CYA level , see pool school link in upper right for CYA/FC chart
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Looks like I need to get my FC up to 5. Do I need to do the shock process? Been trying to keep FC on the low side. When I bring it up I have metal staining to come back>
    IG: 11' x 26' Fiberglass (6,700 Gallons), Hayward 1 HP 2 Speed Pump, Hayward Sand Filter, P4 Aqua Logic Controller, T-15 Salt Cell. TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

yes the shock process would be in order any time you fail an OCLT (over night chlorine loss test)
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

Add more sequestrant if you need to raise the FC higher ... as you do since you failed the OCLT and now need to follow the Shocking Your Pool PROCESS
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Will get bleach tomorrow. Only going to take about 4 gallons. I have a bag of shock not going to use because of CYA.

7. Back To Top    #7

Started shock process this morning.
    FC = 3.5
    CYA 75
    Target FC 28 / 30.
    6700 gal.
    I added 2 gallons of bleach will check with in a hour.
    I concern about my iron staining coming back.
    I added about 4 oz of Seq.
    We are expecting rain today will that cause any problems?

8. Back To Top    #8

We are expecting rain today will that cause any problems?
    No, just keep at the shock process.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

9. Back To Top    #9

1 hour later using 5 ml sample 30 drops. Going to SWG on to help keep it their.

How long do I maintain this.
    Water has always been clear & CC has been .5 or less.

Only resin doing shocking process is over night loss. Lost 2.5 / 3.0 over night.

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

The process is complete when.....

1. Your pool water is sparkling
    2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less
    3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo
    1 hour later using 5 ml sample 30 drops. Going to SWG on to help keep it their.

How long do I maintain this.
    Water has always been clear & CC has been .5 or less.

Only resin doing shocking process is over night loss. Lost 2.5 / 3.0 over night.
    As long as it takes. You might have nipped it in the bud, and one day could have cleared things. But don't neglect to brush. Algae on the walls can form a scab-like covering that protects it from chlorine, so you need to brush it off and expose the guts.

Remember to turn off the SWG when you try the overnight test again.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

12. Back To Top    #12

PH went way up off scale. Is this normal??

13. Back To Top    #13

PH went way up off scale. Is this normal??
    Yes. It is well established; Taylor even mentions it on their website. Your pH is not messed up - the test reagent is.
    Check out the pictures: accurate-ph-test-during-shock-levels-with-r-007-t61076.html
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

14. Back To Top    #14

10:45
    CC= 31
    I cut the SWG off at 9:45

15. Back To Top    #15

10:45
    CC= 31
    I cut the SWG off at 9:45
    Typo?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

16. Back To Top    #16

FC 31