Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: The Pool Is Getting Shocked Tonight

1. Back To Top    #1

The Pool Is Getting Shocked Tonight

I found one dead frog in the skimmer and another at the bottom of the pool
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: The Pool Is Getting Shocked Tonight

err, do you think they peed in the pool?

3. Back To Top    #3

Shocking is gonna have to wait. We've had a lot of rain so I was pumping to waste earlier. One of my kids distracted me, then I found the frogs in the pool. I remembered to shut the pump off, but did not remember to set the valve back to filter, so when the timer kicked the pump on I lost 1.5" of water. I am filling it back up now, will have to recheck salt, CYA etc tomorrow.
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

4. Back To Top    #4

I love it when it rains just enough to keep me from adding city water. Despite all of this rain moving up the coast my water level is still a bit low.

I might have you beat for doing dumb stuff. I don't "close" my pool for winter. One evening I cleaned out leaves from the pump basket (same pump as you have/ 1 HP)...I forgot to open my 2 valves afterwards. I had my timer set to run the pump for 30 minutes every 2 hours during a cold spell. D'OH. I bet the pump didn't like trying to suck air. Thank you thermal protection. The pump didn't suffer any noticeable damage.

5. Back To Top    #5

I wouldn't shock for a couple dead frogs.....
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by harleysilo
    I wouldn't either. Bird **** (hey, it happens to the best of us ) is probably worse?? ...and happens everyday.

I didn't know "that" was a bad word here.

Then do not intentionally circumvent the system with symbols. jblizzle

I'm sorry. It was my humorous attempt at indicating that I hadn't typed the S word.

7. Back To Top    #7

Agreed. Just run the chlorine up to the high end of the range for a couple days.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by DaneCE
    I wouldn't either. Bird **** (hey, it happens to the best of us ) is probably worse?? ...and happens everyday.

I'm sorry. It was my humorous attempt at indicating that I hadn't typed the S word.
    I have a beef with the intentional circumvent comment, by using symbols we are attempting to not type a bad word. We are not going to intionally type the bad word because we know its a family forum. As my kids would say duh!
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by DaneCE

I have a beef with the intentional circumvent comment, by using symbols we are attempting to not type a bad word. We are not going to intionally type the bad word because we know its a family forum. As my kids would say duh!
    In this case, the symbols were used between each letter ... so the w-o-r-d was clearly visible. Now a majority of the members would not consider the C word used here to be inappropriate. But the filter is pretty strict to remove words that anyone has ever reported as questionable. Then again just replacing the S with a $ in the S word does not confuse even the most naive kid, so why do it {again this was not the case here}.

If anyone would like to discuss this further, PM the mods or admin.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

I wouldn't either but I had orders to do so. Basically "I am not letting the kids back in the pool until you shock it". I shouldn't have told her about the frogs.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by crokett
    I wouldn't either but I had orders to do so. Basically "I am not letting the kids back in the pool until you shock it". I shouldn't have told her about the frogs.
    So go dump a quart in and make some movement with the tester and announce no one can get in until tomorrow because the chlorine level is way high. Done.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

12. Back To Top    #12

Sorry that was a poor attempt at humor. Shocking the pool wasn't really necessary, but it doesn't take much and doesn't hurt anything. Her reaction is also mildly amusing. At least it wasn't a mouse. If it were, I'd be draining the pool and then refilling it.