Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie, 1st Numbers with TF-100

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie, 1st Numbers with TF-100

After getting "pool stored" for a couple of years, and now finding this site, my TF-100 arrived today. Here are my numbers. To start with, I was thinking of draining about 25% of my water, due to the high CH/TA, then adjusting what I need tomorrow as far as PH/FC/Borate/(possible CYA if I need it or maybe should wait?). Any thoughts? I would appreciate the help. I have a party on the 4th, so I could wait till after, but I am very nervous about having the high CH/TA, since my salt cell had to be replaced after 1.5yrs. from scaling. I have also been playing with the pool calc, and read a tremendous amount about CSI, but have a hard time following the CSI/CH/TA.
    Borate= 50-60
    PH= 7.6
    FC= 3
    CC= 1
    TC= 4
    TA= 170
    CH= 400
    CYA= 35 (but I did add 2lbs in socks in the skimmers, that just totally dissolved yesterday)
    Salt=3400

I have a vinyl lined pool, 20x40 9ft. deep end, cartridge filter, swg, 1.5 Jandy variable pump, autocover.
    36,000gallon, 20x40, In-ground, vinyl, auto cover, cartridge filter, 1.5hp Jandy Variable Speed, SWG, Gas Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie, 1st Numbers with TF-100

You can not lower the TA (or maybe even the CH) unless your fill water has lower TA and CH ... have you tested that?
    I see no reason to replace water.

But, with a CC = 1, that would indicate a need to go through the Shocking Your Pool PROCESS ... first lower the pH to around 7.2.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I will test my tap water, is there any worry about scaling, (obviously a little freaked out about scaling up another swg)?
    36,000gallon, 20x40, In-ground, vinyl, auto cover, cartridge filter, 1.5hp Jandy Variable Speed, SWG, Gas Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

I also just looked at the shocking process and see that the CYA for swg starts at 60, do I need to raise my CYA to 60 before shocking? If not, and I can raise it after, what are the target numbers?

5. Back To Top    #5

If you shock, you should do it with bleach then raise CYA up to 60 for the SWG after your done, using bleach avoids excess wear on your SWG that likely could not keep up with FC demand during shock process anyway.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

No. The shock numbers are the same as the non-SWG table so use that.

Depending on you water temp, your CSI is currently around 0.3 which is in range ... you may want to try to keep it a little closer to 0 or a little negative by trying to keep the pH between 7.2 and 7.5. As the TA comes down due to keeping the pH in check, you will be able to let the pH go up a little higher.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Awesome, thanks guys, dropping my ph now, then shocking up to 16ppm FC!!! How many hours would a ball park be to keep the FC at 16? (I know I need to test my CC to make sure its at .5 or below, and also the overnight FC loss test) just curious on if I should start up with the bleach tonight?

8. Back To Top    #8

How does the water look? You need to maintain the shock FC level until you pass the 3 criteria to stop ... this could be 1 day or a week+.

Usually good to start at night so the FC is fighting the water and not the sun.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by MNPoolboy
    Awesome, thanks guys, dropping my ph now, then shocking up to 16ppm FC!!! How many hours would a ball park be to keep the FC at 16? (I know I need to test my CC to make sure its at .5 or below, and also the overnight FC loss test) just curious on if I should start up with the bleach tonight?
    How many hours? Anywhere from 24 to 800. But yes, start tonight. You won't lose any of the expensive bleach to sunlight after dark.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

My temp is 90, and the water is crystal clear and sparkling.

11. Back To Top    #11

So it will likely be closer to 24 hours than 800
    Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

Another dumb question.....Since I have people coming over on the 4th to swim, will it be safe for them if I need to continue past tomorrow?

13. Back To Top    #13

Just let the FC drop below shock level and it should be safe to swim ... since your water is clear and you are just seeing a slightly elevated CC.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

YOU GUYS RULE!!! I appreciate the help, I'm sure I'll have more questions as I become more familiar with TFP!

15. Back To Top    #15

If you keep the FC consistently at shock level, you will likely get the CC knocked down and can pass the OCLT tonight or tomorrow night.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

Thanks Again!!! Have a good 4th!!