hydrostic valve leak

Jul 2, 2013
hi i am located in canada and have a cement pool that is leaking about 1" every day or 2
i did all of the tests with the pump running and not running and there is no difference.
came the winter , winterized the pool and put the tarp on it..the level was just below the return lines. when we took the tarp off in the spring the level was down to about 3 feet in the deep end , so i drained the water out .now when i get to the point where it is almost totally empty, the water starts to rise in the pool(we have a high water table). my question is i have a 4 lb. weight on the hydrostatic valve and the water keeps coming in through the drain. do you think it is possible that the valve is faulty? i felt the rubber ring and it seems not to be worn anywhere and i can't see any major cracks in the pool?
the other thing that i dont know is how strong the spring tension should be.
thanks chris

no im not sure, but if it rains for a couple of days steady, the level can go from almost empty to 2 foot high in the deep end. the deep end is about 9 feet deep.
do you think that a 4 lb. weight should hold the valve closed?

i went to a pool supply store and the fellow in there suggested that i fill the drain with hydraulic cement and that there would be no damage to the pool due to the high water table. he said that the water would find another route to to take rather than into the pool.
he also said that he has not installed a hydrostatic valve in 18 years and has had no problems that have resulted.

You do understand the whole purpose of the hydrostatic valve is to allow water into the pool when the water level inside the pool is lower than the water level outside the pool so it doesn't become a boat? There are lots of examples of a pool floating up due to the water table being higher than the pool water level. You'll have to make the decision if you want to block it off.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.