Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Controlling pH

1. Back To Top    #1

Controlling pH

Hi everyone, this is my first post but I have read and re-read the BBB method and with all the stuff I learned on this site I was able to open my pool on my own and clean it up even after the effects of Hurricane Sandy. I bought the Taylor K-2006 test kit and have used nothing but BBB since I opened it last May. I have yet to see any algae growth and my measurements have been really consistent.

My question is on pH, using the test kit I gauge the reading to be anywhere between 7.8 to 8. When it looked like 8 I poured in half a jug of Muriatic Acid (I determined the amount using the pool calculator) It went down, clearly to 7.6 but after about a week it went back up again. I then poured the remaining amount of acid and this lowered it but only for a week again. My TA is 100. CYA is 30. I maintain my FC at about 4-6. My kids have been using the pool and I always ask them if they feel any irritation on their eyes but none have complained.

What could be the reason for this? We haven't used the pool as much as we did last year so I can't say if its the swimmers raising the pH.

What else should I be looking at? I am not overly concerned as I know it responds to the acid. I just want to understand this part a little more.

Thanks in advance!
    23000-gallon inground vinyl pool
    60 sq ft. Hayward DE filter

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Controlling pH

Welcome to the forum. In most pools, the pH will tend to rise...perfectly normal. Especially so if you have an SWG. You are doing the right thing with muriatic.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Keep adding the acid and as the TA comes down so will the speed of the pH rise. I'd also suggest that you lower the pH to about 7.2 each time.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the quick replies! I will try to lower the pH to 7.2 at one time. I think I tried to bring it down to just 7.6 at a time.
    No issues with swimming at 7.2?

Thanks again!

5. Back To Top    #5

People vary a little in their PH sensitivity. Nearly everyone is fine at 7.2.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

7.2 is just fine to swim. Just wait an hour after adding the acid before you jump in.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

thanks everyone! I guess since i was trying to maintain a 7.6 I was afraid to go 'too low'. i will do that tonight or early tomorrow morning before the family comes to visit!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by rdv
    thanks everyone! I guess since i was trying to maintain a 7.6 I was afraid to go 'too low'. i will do that tonight or early tomorrow morning before the family comes to visit!
    Remember, aeration raises pH. A bunch of swimmers produce a lot of aeration.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!