Controlling pH

rdv

May 9, 2013
Hi everyone, this is my first post but I have read and re-read the BBB method and with all the stuff I learned on this site I was able to open my pool on my own and clean it up even after the effects of Hurricane Sandy. I bought the Taylor K-2006 test kit and have used nothing but BBB since I opened it last May. I have yet to see any algae growth and my measurements have been really consistent.

My question is on pH, using the test kit I gauge the reading to be anywhere between 7.8 to 8. When it looked like 8 I poured in half a jug of Muriatic Acid (I determined the amount using the pool calculator) It went down, clearly to 7.6 but after about a week it went back up again. I then poured the remaining amount of acid and this lowered it but only for a week again. My TA is 100. CYA is 30. I maintain my FC at about 4-6. My kids have been using the pool and I always ask them if they feel any irritation on their eyes but none have complained.

What could be the reason for this? We haven't used the pool as much as we did last year so I can't say if its the swimmers raising the pH.

What else should I be looking at? I am not overly concerned as I know it responds to the acid. I just want to understand this part a little more.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the quick replies! I will try to lower the pH to 7.2 at one time. I think I tried to bring it down to just 7.6 at a time.
No issues with swimming at 7.2?

Thanks again!

thanks everyone! I guess since i was trying to maintain a 7.6 I was afraid to go 'too low'. i will do that tonight or early tomorrow morning before the family comes to visit!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.