Only leaks when the pump is on?

Jul 2, 2013
DFW Texas
New guy here, been reading and learning a lot about pool leaks but I can't figure out what's going on with mine. Water level is fine with the pump off. It drops when it's on, so I changed all the gaskets and o-rings of the backwash valve, which haven't been changed in who knows how long. We ran the pump afterward for 24 hours straight and the water didn't drop anymore, I thought that was that. But a couple days after running the pump on the regular timer, it's dropping again. What the heck is going on? There aren't water drips around the pump equipment. The pool plumbing is connected directly to the sewer line, we don't have a backwash line that I could see if water is dripping out.

Pool:
18,000 gallons
DE
gunite
Pentair WhisperFlo pump

Do you have a multiport or slide backwash valve?

If it only leaks with the pump on it's either the backwash valve (common) or the return plumbing underground (rare).

I would disconnect the waste line even if I had to cut it and add a union and see if it's leaking there. That's a common place for it to leak.

Photos makes things a little easier, sorry. It's an older slide valve.
No spa, just the pool. Yeah, we've done the dye test, repaired some tiles we thought the water might have been leaking behind.
IvqevQi.jpg

I lubed around the gaskets a little bit. Not afraid to admit I don't know what the proper amount should be - got plenty of it left. I don't see any scratches in the pipe. The pump was running this morning for about three hours and the water level dropped about 1 inch then I turned it off.

Good grief - thanks for mentioning that and the overall help here. I got that stuff at Home Depot, do they sell marine/pool lube or is this something found typically at pool stores or online? There's a great pool store not far but HD is closer. Just a laziness question.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.