Spoke with a pro installer

unkyjoe

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 24, 2013
Seguin TX
Greetings,

Just wanted to share a conversation I had the other day with a pro installer.

We hired a contractor to come and dig a level base for our pool a couple of weeks ago, he got it pretty level so we setup the pool till the end of the season "Sept" and filled. It is a bit out of level but not too bad.

Neighbor just had a metal framed pool setup last week so I stopped by and spoke with the installer, I noticed they dug out for the pool and placed crusher rock about 2-3 inches deep over the native soil, then constructed the pool on top of that with pavers set into the cusher rock. Then the walls went up, sand on top and then gorilla and the side wall coves.

I asked why they used the crusher rock, he told me due to the type of expansive clay we have down here that he has found after about a year one side or the other will begin to sink. He finds using the crusher rock, and compacting it while wet assures that if it settles at all it does it together. He has been installing for over 15 years and learned the hard way.

I had him come by and check mine out, he suggested when I take the pool down to do the same, make my base 1-2ft wider than the pool, get it down to undisturbed soil as close to level as possible, come back with about 2 inches of the crusher rock, wet it and use a plate compactor to compact it down, inset my paver for the legs, although he thinks that a square of PT wood screwed into the legs so they can move is a better idea.

He said once you compact this base it is like concrete and if it moves or sinks from the rain or the drought it tends to do so as one unit. He has not had to re-level a pool in over 10 years using this method.

So this will be what we do in Sept, the excavator will come back out to re-level the spot and widen it by another foot, then the crusher, then compacting, then the pink stuff and fill it back up for the winter.

Just wanted to share with you all :)

That is exactly what I'm doing and what a few others have done.

It's the only way to *build up* an above ground pool safely.

The cheapest I found is $12.50 a ton for pick up only. 24 tons would run me $450 for a tri-axle load delivered.

I called the materials company, told them how large an area I had, how deep I needed it to be, and they calculated I would need about 3 yards.

You can look online for a calculator as well just do a google search for cubic yards calculator I believe.

Hope that helps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.