Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Purchasing a new AG 30Ft Round Pool need help

1. Back To Top    #1

Purchasing a new AG 30Ft Round Pool need help

We are purchasing a 30ft 54 inch round AG pool, Sentinelle by Aqua. The pool package comes with the Jacuzzi Magnum 1hp pump and 19inch 200lb sand filter. This is our first pool and I don't know much, but I have been researching and reading a lot of this forum. The company said we can upgrade to a 1 1/2 hp, but we can only get the 19' filter. I looked at specs and it should be able to filter all the water within an 8 hour period.
    1st Is this a decent AB pool
    2nd Is the pump and filter in this package a good match for this size pool? Should we upgrade to 1 1/2 hp.
    3rd Or should we just purchase the filter and pump out of the package if so what do you suggest?

The other choice pool would be the Aqua Morada?

Any comments and help quickly would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

30ft 54in AG Sentinelle, Southern Illinois.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Purchasing a new AG 30Ft Round Pool need help

Most folks here are going to recommend a 2 speed pump if you can, but the 1 horsepower size is just fine. I can almost guarantee you that everyone here will recommend a larger sand filter. That's a whole lotta water to filter and clear if need be. I'd say at least a 24" 300 lb. sand filter. Welcome!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

I'll just echo what Woody said. Look at a 2-speed pump, 1 hp is fine, and at least a 24" sand filter or a 300 sqft cartridge.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the help I will start looking for a larger filter. Any recommendations of brand?

5. Back To Top    #5

Any of the major brands will be fine.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Mas985's table advises a 3.9 to 4sqft sand filter. It's right in between the two @ 21,200 gal, assuming a 4ft depth.

Just curious if this is somehow not applicable?
    Thanks for reading... - Tony
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

7. Back To Top    #7

What do you mean by not applicable?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

As in the recommendation to get a 24" filter at minimum. Where in they all seem to top out at around 3.2sqft, at least all the ones I have found.
    3.2sqft being a bit too small according to Mark's table from the ANSI/NSF 50 spec for public pools.
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

9. Back To Top    #9

24" is a bit smaller than the recommended size and that's partly why I said minimum. However the price difference between a 24" or 26" filter and a 30" filter (which is the next bigger size) is pretty significant. I don't think the filtering ability outweighs the cost difference in this case.

Just trying to be realistic in my suggestions.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

The biggest combo filter and pump I can find is Jacuzzi 1 1/2 hp with 22.5 sand filter. It says it will clean 26,000 gallons in 6 hours and wouldn't this be sufficient?

Also does anyone recommend either the Morada or the Sentinelle Pool?

11. Back To Top    #11

So, I would suggest you stop looking at combo units. Looks for a 1HP 2-speed pump and a separate sand filter 24+" diameter.

That 1.5HP is going to be an energy hog and much larger than you need ... coupled with a filter that is smaller than we recommend. Thus, usually find a better setup by purchasing equipment separately.

EDIT: y_not, you are right the table would suggest a 27" filter, but with a shorter season and taking cost differential into account, the 24" is plenty.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

Our resident pump and plumbing expert, Mark, has been helping me determine what pump to buy for my new setup. See Sig.
    We have landed on these.
    Waterway Supreme 3/4hp AGP Pump
    This one will handle solar and is a bit of a bigger pump than the Hayward. Its max amps are a bit less than the Hayward. All Waterway pumps have a 3 yr/2 yr warranty. The 1st being the wet head and the 2nd shorter warr. being the motor.

Waterway Hi-Flo 1hp 2-speed AGP pump
    This one is great, so long as you don't need solar on the roof. Same motor as the one above. Mark says that overall it'll draw less power than the one above, even though they both have the exact same motor. The reason being that the Supreme is equipped with a higher volume wet head, thus more load and higher amp draw on the higher volume pump of the 2, the Waterway Supreme.

Hayward SP15922S Power-Flo Matrix 1hp AGP Pump 2-Speed
    This is an oft used pump by TFP members /w AGPs. It does cost more than the above Waterway options and only has a 1yr warr. But it is a more common name.
    You can get it cheaper through the Amazon Warehouse under more buying options.

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks I will look for the pump and filter seperate when you purchase these seperate do they come with everything I will need or do I need to order additional hoses, and equipment? I really do appreciate all your help.

Thanks,

14. Back To Top    #14

You will need to supply the hoses or the PVC plumbing.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

15. Back To Top    #15

Ok I am getting ready to order the 1hp Hayward Flo Matrix pump dual speed with the Hayward Pro Series 24' Top Mount 1.5 Valve Filter. Does this sound like a good matchup?

16. Back To Top    #16

Sounds pretty good to me.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

I have an Aqua Leader pool and have been happy with the all resin construction (aside from the wall).
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

18. Back To Top    #18

I decided to go with the 27 in filter a little bigger?
    Did you have a problem with the walls, or did you just mean they are not resin of course, lol

19. Back To Top    #19

I meant that walls were not resin, they are steel.

I went with a 21 as it was the "demo" pool at the dealer. They gave me a good deal on and it fit into my yard. After owning for as many years as I have, I wonder if I did get a bigger pool, would I have added a "deep" end (area).
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by mommaofthree161210
    I decided to go with the 27 in filter a little bigger?
    Link?
    S270T ??