yellow stain on Krystal Krete

RASSRQ

LifeTime Supporter
May 25, 2010
Sarasota, FL
I have a yellowish stain on my Krystal Krete pool. I'm fairly certain it's stain, not algae because:
-- it doesn't scrub off
-- it has responded to a stain-analysis test (responds to iron)
-- stain-removal products have helped somewhat in the past

Each time I've treated I've used Pinch-A-Penny products (actually made by Jack's Magic) -- 'Iron and Cobalt Stain Removal', used with 'Ultimate Metal Control Plus' (a sequestrant), plus chlorine neutralizer necessary for the stain remover. It's expensive -- each process comes to about $75.

A few years ago the stain treatments may have lightened the stains about 80%, but not entirely, and the number of spots has grown substantially.

The stain removal product says it should be used with TDS <= 1,200 ppm, whereas my TDS is 2,900.

I called in a company who acid-washed a friend's pool at a fair price with great results. The fellow who came looked at the stains and said I'd be wasting money because from experience he knows acid-washing won't remove this stain, though he couldn't tell me what the stain is. (The company also does pool resurfacing, so I could be suspicious that they'd prefer to resurface, but my friend didn't get any such redirection and they have high marks on Angie's list.)

Present chemistry measured by Pinch-A-Penny is:

Total Cl = 3.0 ppm
Free Cl = 3.0 ppm
PH = 7.5
TA = 85 ppm
CH = 250 ppm
TDS = 2,900 ppm
Salt = 2,000 ppm
Stabilizer = 60 ppm

The Krystal Krete has been in place since before I bought the house 8 years ago. (We love the Krystal Krete color and surface.)

So, I'd appreciate all advice. Can this be solved or am I likely to have to resurface? If it can be solved, how?

Thank you.

Thank you for the reply, Bama Rambler. I've cruised this forum quite a bit but I either hadn't found the ascorbic acid treatment, or had just forgotten about it, and I've have sworn I'd searched for "iron stains", but perhaps not.

I'd presume the Iron and Cobalt Remover I referred to would be basically the same thing, one of ascorbic, citric, oxalic. Do you think not?

In any case, I'll try spot treatment with ascorbic acid in a sock and see if it does the job and if so proceed with an entire course.

But, notice my description of the disclaimers on the commercial product in the presence of high TDS, which I have. Are you saying that's not material to the AA treatment?

Thank again .... Bob

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.