Gunite Repair Question

Jul 2, 2013
I am very happy to become a new member of this site. Thanks to Costco Connection for writing about this site.

Together, myself and my 15-yr old son, we maintain our in-ground pool in Central Texas.

Pool Equipment: DE Filter, 80sft, Main and Booster Pump, New Polaris 3800 Cleaner.

Current Status: Excellent - sparkly blue water. Thanks to Costco.com Kemtex 3" Tablets (home delivered).

Problem: The earlier Polaris 290 Cleaner's one wheel had broken off. The metal shaft from the Cleaner damaged the gunite edges on the shelves.

Suggestion Needed:

1. How do I repair the gunite damage?

2. Do I have to drain the water level to repair the gunite?

3. I have never done this repair. So, any detailed suggestion or available video is going to be helpful.

Thank you all very much.

What do you mean by damaged the gunite? Do you have a pic

How deep are the scratches - if there not deep, say less than 1/16 of an inch you may be able to acid wash them, but this would requite you to drain the water below the water.

If it's just cosmetic you may find that they will blend in over time - Im sure they will not effect the working of your pool

Or as suggested call you local pool plaster company.

Thanks for your kind responses Bama Rambler and blakeusa.

blakeusa:

I don't have picture right now, but I can post a couple. The damage doesn't seem to be deep but the without fixing it, the area more white top coating seems to be coming off. Local store, Warehouse Pool Supply, wants to sell me a box of quick drying repair powder which can be plastered in. I read in this forum that the Gunnite is actually behind a thin coat of water barrier. Please suggest further. Thanks.

Bama Rambler:

As per your suggestion, I have placed calls to couple of pool refinishing Companies. But, I suspect they will cost me $1000+. I guess I may have to eat the cost. :( Thanks for your advice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.