Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can I drain pool using pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can I drain pool using pump?

I need to drain a significant amount of water from my pool to lower the cya. I do don't have a sump pump on hand. So I just want to make sure I don't burn up the pump motor my husband just had rebuilt. I have cartridge filters so there is a drain on the bottom of the egg or there is a three way handle /valve. I have read about putting the vacuum in and letting the head sit at the deep end. What's the best way to do this? I will need to drain below the skimmer basket.

Any suggestions appreciated,
    thanks,
    Bet
    12yr old, In ground approx.. 20,000 gallon kidney shaped gunite, Hayward pump with cartridge filters, Dolphin cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can I drain pool using pump?

Using the vacuum to drain the pool is a common way to do it. I'd stay pretty close most of the time just in case, but it should work fine.

How much do you need to drain?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

about 1/3 of the pool.
    12yr old, In ground approx.. 20,000 gallon kidney shaped gunite, Hayward pump with cartridge filters, Dolphin cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

I planned on draining a third. Water is to expensive here in TN.

5. Back To Top    #5

You should be able to do a third with the vacuum hose without a problem.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

When I try this, I get air in my in my basket at the pump, the hose collapses.
    I'm going to scream. I have never had such an issue. I was just trying to have this thing swimmable by the 4th.
    Future foam pit is sounding good about now!

7. Back To Top    #7

How is the water exiting the plumbing? One solution is to add some restriction on the pressure side of the pump to reduce the flow rate some so the hose doesn't collapse.

Also, can you isolate the main drain to the pump?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

8. Back To Top    #8

I have a main drain, but as far as I know I cant isolate. I need a pool book for Dummies! LOL!
    I just came from Lowes with my new sump pump in tow & 150 ft. of hose to boot.
    I'm really sad about this but I don't know what else I can do at this point. I know its my fault cause I added to much stabilizer.
    I'm going to do this. I'm ready to get this chemistry under control! We have had this pool for 6 years and it is amazing all the unreliable info I received from the pool store or pool company over the years. Just like today I went to get my cya tested( I ran out of solution),stupid girl at the testing didn't know what cya even was. No Kidding!
    I have faith in the BBB method!