Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Walmart Salt

1. Back To Top    #1

Walmart Salt

I have a NON- swg pool. But am wanting to experiment with getting the salt up to maybe around 2000ppm to start to see what it feels like and/or has any effects on the skin . I noticed Wally World has salt in the pool section. Is this decent to use or should I source elsewhere ?

Current AM test results btw:
    FC 6
    Cc .5
    TC. 6.5
    PH 7.2
    TA 70
    CYA 75ish
    CH 100

Just balanced it all out this morn, 70 oz bleach n 45oz borax. Should be good to go for the day from there

Salt test
    470ppm

23k Gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward Perflex 65A DE Filter, Heat Pump, In-Line Chlorinator, Pool Installed 2010 (however i just bought the house with this pool 1 month ago)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Walmart Salt

Any salt that is 99.4% pure or better can be used. Water softener salt is a popular choice here. You just don't want salt with a bunch of additives.

3. Back To Top    #3

The salt Walmart has is good pool salt. I'd check around and see if you can find solar salt cheaper, but if you if you go with the salt at wally world it's good salt.

I notice that your CYA is pretty high for a non-swg pool. Your FC is the lowest you ever want it to be. Is that FC before or after you added the bleach?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks. I'll check for solar salt somewhere , but if I can't locate it then ill use the Walmart salt .

The FC is before adding the bleach. I just got out of shock phase 2 days ago , been waiting for it to drop so I could accurately test (and use my new speedstir ) and then balance accordingly. Took almost 2.5 days to drop to that.

I know the cya is kinda high. Been waiting for another partial drain refill period. I did 3 partials at the beginning of the season to get it down . (Was 150+++) .... Since then , about 2.5 weeks ago I have just been maintaining the correct FC levels for the cya level. Been debating on when to do it but may wait till end of season cause we drain about 2500 gallon out for winter isn't and can fix it beginning next season. So far (4 weeks into BBB) I am loving it, learned a lot and am having fun learning more and understanding and being able to play around with the water balance.
    23k Gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward Perflex 65A DE Filter, Heat Pump, In-Line Chlorinator, Pool Installed 2010 (however i just bought the house with this pool 1 month ago)

5. Back To Top    #5

Also btw the instructions that come with the tf100 kit says 100 to 120 for TA level for normal pools but the pool calc says 70-90TA level. I have been following the pool calc. Is that correct to do ? Seems the ph swing is very minimal if any , so I figured it was ok ???.?.

6. Back To Top    #6

It's really where ever your pH is stable at. For tablet chlorinated pools it usually needs to be a little higher but if 70-90 is working for you, it's fine to have it there.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

sounds good. Im gonna leave it there and see if the PH is stable. So far it is looking good. I dont use the tabs, cause of the fear of raising the CYA again. just chlorinating with bleach as of now.

8. Back To Top    #8

With bleach, 70 to 90 is the right numbers.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

I use Wally World salt. It is Mortons Solar Salt in the blue bags. I think it is like 3.98 a bag? Been using for two years.