How much pool salt to get to optimum level?

Jun 18, 2012
Central Ohio
I started adding pool salt to our pool this season, but it's unclear to me how much is required to get it to the optimum salt level, (around 2600 I believe). I've added 4 or 5 40 lb bags now and it's made it to 1200. It seems each bag increases the level by 100, if it keeps that pattern that means I need to add 14 more 40 lb bags! That seems strange to me based on what the instructions on the bag say. I was going by the Aquarite salt level reading on the display and thought maybe that wasn't accurate so I ordered the salt test kit from your site, but that is pretty close to what the box reading is. Do I just keep adding salt until I get to the proper level? This is the first season using the SWG unit so there has been no salt added in several years. Your guidance is appreciated. :)

It's a new generic cell, but I guess my husband cleaned it for some reason when he put everything together at the beginning of the season. I did find and try the calculator after I posted, it says that I need to add 180 lbs using "Now" as 1200 & "Target" as 2600. So I guess I'll go buy 4 more bags, I think I have one left at home. Does 2600 sound right as a target for our pool? I think that's what's on the Aquarite box, but I need to double check at home.

LS,
Is 2600 optimum? Our SWG cell is dead, but if memory serves, 2600 - 3200 is, or was, the range for Aquarite, with 3000 considered ideal. Please check your system's manual. Or perhaps your new generic cell has different requirements....

If 2600 is the minimum, is there a reason you are considering only the minimum salt?
I ask because bather splash-out removes some salt, and then adding water dilutes the remaining salt further, bit by bit, 'til you're soon below the salt ppm level at which the SWG functions.

(Ominous thunder sounds rumble in the distance.) Then no chlorine, then algae.

In our pool, similar size to yours, we kept the salt at 3000 to 3200, and each 40-lb. bag of pool salt added approximately 320 ppm, if I remember correctly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.