Strips register 0 chlorine

Jul 2, 2013
I can really use your help. I'm at my wits end. My pool is crystal clear blue and yet my strips register 0 for chlorine (even after I shock the pool). I don't think the strips are defective. I bought 2 batches and I got the same reading for both. I had my water analyzed and these are the results from the analysis report:
Free available chlorine: 2
Total available chlorine: 2
Calcium hardness: 210
Cyanuric acid: 60
Total alkalinity: 90
pH: 7.4
Copper: 0
Iron: 0
Phosphates: 100

Any suggestions?

Hi, welcome to TFP! Test strips are notoriously inaccurate. The best way to test the pool is to use a high quality test kit such as a Taylor k2006 or the TF100. When you test your pool daily you will have consistent, accurate results and can dose the pool accordingly.

The next issue is that your Chlorine is too low for your CYA level. You should be keeping the FC between 5-10ppm for a CYA of 60. When you let the FC drop below 5ppm you run the risk of an algae bloom. Also you don't mention if you have a vinyl liner or a plaster surface pool. The correct calcium level depends on the type of pool surface. You can use the Pool calculator to determine the correct levels for your pool.

Welcome to TFP!

You really need a good test kit in order to properly manage your pool. Many people here have the TF-100, found only at tftestkits.net. You can also get a Taylor K-2006 in various places online.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.