Well, I finally obliterated whatever was growing (water was never even cloudy) but now I have a CYA level of around 40-50, a pH around 7.2 and FC of about 25. I'd like to try and get the FC down to at least close to target before bumping up CYA. And I'm not even sure at what level FC I can even try and figure out what my pH is currently.
So, some questions I'm hoping you gentle folk can answer for me...
1. At what FC level can you get a reliable pH reading? I know it's too high now, but how low FC is low enough?
2. Given I have some CYA in the pool, I don't expect the quick burn off of FC (when we actually get some sun here!). I'll be waiting a while if I want the sun to burn it off, won't I?
3. I seem to recall if FC is below shock level, you can swim. Is that a good rule of thumb? Or is there a hard number as well that you want to avoid?
4. I recall reading that you can also use something to lower chlorine. Anyone remember what it is and what else it might affect?
5. I'm assuming pH needs to be 7.4 or so to swim. If I turned on the deck jets and turned the returns so they shot in the air, any kind of rough idea how fast the pH would raise at around 100TA?
6. Lastly, there's some junk in the pool that needs to be cleaned. I'd like to throw my dolphin M4 in and let it go to work. But the manual says 4ppm max of Chlorine. Any idea what high chlorine levels would do to it?
And thanks in advance everyone. This really is an awesome place. I shudder to think where I'd be if there was no TFP and I had to rely on the pool store!