Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Kontiki found - worth restoring?

1. Back To Top    #1

Kontiki found - worth restoring?

I found a suction side cleaner in my pool shed left by previous owners. It says Kontiki on the side so I am guessing it is this:

http://www.sparcomanual.com/ManualFiles ... ontiki.pdf

It's pretty dirty and has been sitting in the back of the shed for at least a few years now, but does not appear obviously broken in any way. I have not taken a full inventory of parts, but my guess is I am missing a few minor ones and would need to order.
    In a search I didn't find a whole lot of reviews on TFP regarding this cleaner, and reviews elsewhere have been mixed. Does anyone have any experience with this? What is the useful life? Am I better off saving myself a Sunday afternoon and perhaps some frustration and hitting reset and just buying a Diver Dave/Wanda Whale/Aquabug?
    Dedicated TFPer since 2012 with recommended test kit
    Above ground, 30 foot round pool, 21,000 gallons
    Hayward 150 sq foot cartridge filter, 1HP Waterway pump
    Raypak 400K BTU NG Heater!
    Installed in 2006? (just a guess, pool came with house I purchased in June 2012)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Kontiki found - worth restoring?

The biggest thing that usually goes wrong with those jerky cleaners is the diaphragm. If it's good and you have all the hoses and the regulator, I'd say go for it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Kontiki found - worth restoring?

Ahh well, I looked high and low and it seems that I am missing the flow valve, elbow, and above ground cuff, which come to about $65-85 to replace based on a quick google search. Guess it is time to purchase a new cleaner, but thanks again Bama.
    Dedicated TFPer since 2012 with recommended test kit
    Above ground, 30 foot round pool, 21,000 gallons
    Hayward 150 sq foot cartridge filter, 1HP Waterway pump
    Raypak 400K BTU NG Heater!
    Installed in 2006? (just a guess, pool came with house I purchased in June 2012)