Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DE

1. Back To Top    #1

DE

How much DE should I add to my pool, 22,200 gallons, after cleaning my filter?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DE

Quote Originally Posted by Grammie
    How much DE should I add to my pool, 22,200 gallons, after cleaning my filter?
    It's not the size of the pool, it's the size of the filter. Look for a label on it somewhere, something with brand name and numbers, and we should be able to help you figure it out.

If there's no readable label, then it's going to take pictures and dimensions to figure out what you have. If you have the filter apart, measure the size of the grids; that can also help identify the filter.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Hayward System 3 DE
    Model No S7MD60
    Filtration Area: 60 Sq Ft
    DE Precoat Amount: 9 lbs

4. Back To Top    #4

Hayward System 3 DE
    Model No S7MD60
    Filtration Area: 60 Sq Ft
    DE Precoat Amount: 9 lbs
    Well, there you have it! 9 lbs, if you've disassembled it and done a good scrubbing. If it was just a backwash, then 80% - 7.2 lbs. A scale is the best way, because the volume depends a lot on how hard you pack it.
    use-and-care-for-de-filters-t4086.html
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thx, if it was a snake it would have bit me! Is the best way to apply it is through dissolving in water first?

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, you can mix it in a bucket of pool water in small batches. Don't try to add all 9 lbs to a 2 gallon bucket! The mixture should be milky without clumps.

You can also slowly dump scoops of DE into the skimmer while the pump is running. Be sure and remove the skimmer basket first and make sure the pump pot strainer basket is clean and in place before adding the DE.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thx, if it was a snake it would have bit me! Is the best way to apply it is through dissolving in water first?
    Some people mix a slurry in a bucket and pour that slowly into the skimmer. I usually just dump it a little at a time into the skimmer and let it break up and get sucked away by the turbulence. You just don't want big clods of it blocking the pipes.

8. Back To Top    #8

Whats the best method of cleaning de screens? Just water or is there a chemical designed to clean them?
    Nathan
    15x30 gunite 18k gallons Hayward star clear plus 120sqft cart

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyGuy
    Whats the best method of cleaning de screens? Just water or is there a chemical designed to clean them?
    Here, let me re-post the link I posted a few replies up:
    use-and-care-for-de-filters-t4086.html

10. Back To Top    #10

Thank you Richard. Sorry for not noticing the link prior
    Nathan
    15x30 gunite 18k gallons Hayward star clear plus 120sqft cart