Sunscreen sheen, what to do?

Oct 7, 2012
This is my first summer with a pool and this was first heavy activity weekend in the pool, as far as people go. I noticed sunday evening that I had a nice sheen on the pool surface and also again last night, most probably from all the sunscreen. We have a rulle to let the sunscreen dry before getting in the pool, but kids will be kids, so we have some work to do on getting better at that. Any tips on trying to get the sheen off the water surface without affecting my water chemistry balance? Or is time the only thing that will help?

FC - 4.5
CC or TC - 0
pH - 7.6
TA - 80
CH -300
CYA - 50

Thanks for the input guys, after reading up on these scum balls, I think I might have a great solution. I work in the oil and gas industry and we use oil absorbent pads in our shop alot when dealing with small engine leaks in the skids of our equipment that we ship offshore, and they work great. I will let you guys know how they work. Here is a link to some, these qty 100 - 15" x 19" pads will hold up to 26gals of oil, I would think this pack of a hundred would last a very good while - http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-1 ... rbent-Pads

I have heard tennis balls work wonderfully for this. But haven't tried it myself.
Definitely cheap than scum balls and worth a shot.

BTW, I thought proper chlorine levels and filtration, plus good circulation would take care of this?

Yes, a properly chlorinated pool and sunlight will get rid of the sunscreen. If people are really bothered by it though, the scumballs do work as they absorb the oils.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.