Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sunscreen sheen, what to do?

1. Back To Top    #1

Sunscreen sheen, what to do?

This is my first summer with a pool and this was first heavy activity weekend in the pool, as far as people go. I noticed sunday evening that I had a nice sheen on the pool surface and also again last night, most probably from all the sunscreen. We have a rulle to let the sunscreen dry before getting in the pool, but kids will be kids, so we have some work to do on getting better at that. Any tips on trying to get the sheen off the water surface without affecting my water chemistry balance? Or is time the only thing that will help?

FC - 4.5
    CC or TC - 0
    pH - 7.6
    TA - 80
    CH -300
    CYA - 50
    20K gal, IG plaster, Cartridge Filter, Suntouch Controller/Intelliflo VS, Polaris 380, BBB method Houston, TX

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sunscreen sheen, what to do?

Scumball actually works pretty good. You can probably find it at the local pool store. If not, online.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the input guys, after reading up on these scum balls, I think I might have a great solution. I work in the oil and gas industry and we use oil absorbent pads in our shop alot when dealing with small engine leaks in the skids of our equipment that we ship offshore, and they work great. I will let you guys know how they work. Here is a link to some, these qty 100 - 15" x 19" pads will hold up to 26gals of oil, I would think this pack of a hundred would last a very good while - http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-1 ... rbent-Pads
    20K gal, IG plaster, Cartridge Filter, Suntouch Controller/Intelliflo VS, Polaris 380, BBB method Houston, TX

5. Back To Top    #5

I have heard tennis balls work wonderfully for this. But haven't tried it myself.
    Definitely cheap than scum balls and worth a shot.

BTW, I thought proper chlorine levels and filtration, plus good circulation would take care of this?
    Thanks for reading... - Tony
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, a properly chlorinated pool and sunlight will get rid of the sunscreen. If people are really bothered by it though, the scumballs do work as they absorb the oils.

7. Back To Top    #7

I take it that it has to do with waiting for the chlorine and filter to do their work, vs. more immediate results with the scum ball?
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

8. Back To Top    #8

Yep, I am the impatient type.

thanks guys.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by dtsavant
    Yep, I am the impatient type.

thanks guys.
    Lol, in all honesty. Who really isn't?

Let us know how it works out, curious on the tennis ball in the skimmer too.