New to pools and need help!

Once you get the good test kit things will get a lot simpler. We can tell exactly what's going on in your pool and if you need to shock you can test to make sure you're at shock level.

It doesn't surprise me that they didn't measure CYA, as Robbie said, it takes a while for it to show up, and some tests can only test it as low as about 30 ppm.

It also doesn't surprise me that the FC was zero. How long after you took the sample was it before it was tested? What kind of container was it in? was there any sun on the container during the time? Was there any sun on the pool after you added the bleach and tested last night? All that can consume FC.

I know it's frustrating but don't give up.

Go ahead and add the bleach and the baking soda.

They did not specify the chlorine between FC or CC, only said chlorine was 0. They did test for CYA and said it was 0.

After adding bleach and baking soda, I will not be able to test my water at the store until Friday, can I (please) swim on Thursday ??

Also, on a side note, is this normal to have this many problems with a brand new, fresh pool? I mean, we just filled it up on Sunday! I can smell chlorine every time I walk by it. I do, however, notice we have those darn water bugs in there, I just can't seem to catch them as they always jump off the thing before I can fling them out, does that suggest anything?

If you smell chlorine, that COULD BE CCs. I hate to say it, but this might be an indicator that you have organics in the pool. I am NOT saying this is definite, but it is a real possibility. A properly balanced pool, even with "high" FC levels, should not smell like chlorine.

There are lots of tricks that people try to keep the bugs out of the water, but I don't think any of them have been scientifically tested to show they really are working. ;) I think adding borates to my pool lowered the amount of bugs I have had to deal with, but again I have no scientific evidence to show it really made a difference.

The water actually looks clear. I swear it looked a little green the past few days, my husband said he didn't see it but I swear I did. Last night (before I added the bleach) it looked much clearer. Also, I don't mean that there is an overwhelming smell of chlorine, it just smells like a pool, compared to when we first filled it up. I only smell it when the pump is on circulating the water, if that makes a difference.

No one answered me, can I swim in it tomorrow?

It should not smell like a pool. I know that sounds odd, but it really should not.

What you said, that it looked more clear before adding bleach, can also be an indicator of organics in the pool.

Dave was asking if your water is clear to answer your question. If it is clear and you can keep the FC at the proper level for swimming, you can use the pool.

You can swim up to shock level for your CYA and the amount of bleach we told you to add won't put you over shock level. As long as the water is clear and the FC is above zero, but below shock level, go swimming!

Since you can't test until Friday I suggest you get a basic test kit from Wally World that will test pH and chlorine. That way you can make sure you at least have some chlorine in there.

You can also use it to quazi-shock. Test the water and whenever it shows the level to be at or below the max that the kit will test for, enter the number in the Pool Calc and enter 13 ppm as the target and add whatever it tells you to.

Sorry for the delay - I went to lunch.
My pool is still clear, both before and after I added the bleach. I must have been imagining the green tint because I don't see it anymore. Husband said he never saw it.
What is the recommended FC level for swimming? And by swimming I mean floating or sleeping on said float with a drink in my hand! No kids or anything, just me and the hubby.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.