Pump Won't Prime

88mmm

Oct 17, 2012
So yesterday my wife closed the valve to the deck jets and did not open any of the other returns to the pool. This resulted in the pump running for 6 hours with no where for the water to go. When I saw this I opened the valve to the main returns and the pump ran fine. The basket was warm to the touch but since it was pumping I thought all was OK. This morning I went out to start the pump before leaving for work and the pump basket was empty? The pump would not prime. I put a garden hose in the basket and filled it up. It pumped the water out but than nothing, no prime, no pressure in the filter. Any suggestions at what to look for first. The pump is a 1HP super pump about 1 month old :(

It could have gotten hot enough to warp something. Hopefully it nothing serious. The first thing to try is resealing the drain plugs on the pump basket. Then clean and lube the basket lid o-ring well. If that doesn't fix it start looking at the fittings, starting at the pump basket suction.

Thanks for the response I'll take a look at the o-rings first. I'm thinking that the intake fitting may be the culprit. I figured dead heading with water is better than running it dry. The pump/motor sounds fine but there must be a leak somewhere.

Turned out that the Teflon tape on the inlet and outlet fittings had melted more or less leading to the failure. :-D With the tape replaced I'm now back up and running. I'm glad the pump was not damaged.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.