Little Intex 12x30 Metal Frame pool project questions

HacoboPablo

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 29, 2013
San Diego, CA
Hey everyone,

My wife and I our starting our first pool project with a little Intex 12x30 Metal Frame pool. Mainly for our nieces and nephews but I'm sure we'll enjoy it too.
I'm reading all that I can around here and just ordered a TF-100 test kit today. I want to go with an SWG and it seems a sand filter is better/easier to maintain than the basic Intex cartridge filters.
Looking on the Intex site I'm wondering about the 14in Sand Filter Pump and SWG combination. Is the 1600gph too large for this little pool? We may upgrade later to a slightly larger pool down the road. Anyone have a setup like this?

Thanks for any help!

Bama Rambler - If I had to do it all over again, I probably would have picked up the 2650. I bought it before finding TFP and all of this information.

Why are you thinking stand alone units? The only thing that worries me with any combo is if there are failures then the whole thing has to be replaced. Is there another reason you suggest separates?

That and after you get mad at the SWG and the fact that you being here at this forum you will probably test your water anyway and make small adjustments by adding bleach anyway, why bother with the SWG. And that's from the guy who had the Intex SWG for the past two years.

This year I have gone strictly bleach only and no SWG......pool is just as good (if not better condition) as it's ever been. Again, I keep my pool covered ALL the time it is not being used, may I suggest you do also.

I used the 2650 pump even for the 10 foot Intex pool I had a couple of years ago. If you go with the cartridge filter setup, dump the Intex filters and get a couple of Unicell replacement carts that you can clean and reuse.....they flow water so much better than the cheap, horrible Intex filters......I could tell you how much better my flow is/was, but you probably wouldn't believe me......Unicell filters are THAT much better than Intex......

Like Dave said above, keep as much separate as you can. Last year I had a bearing go out in the pump motor.....no problem, quick changeout and back in business for minimal outlay of cash.

Bob E.

Thanks for the feedback!
@Bama Rambler - I can see it could be better to keep them separate. I'm trying to keep within a budget, but I did notice the 2650 for around $189, seems like a good deal. And the SWG for about $170, seems doable.

@hyperionguy - How are you liking your 14x42 Ultra Frame? That's probably as big as I could go, and am really tempted to go that route now if I'm gonna do all the foundation work.

@Safteybob - Was 2650 creating waves in the 10ft? :) Good to know you guys have tried this stuff out, thanks for the tip on the cartridge filter upgrade as well!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.