Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Little Intex 12x30 Metal Frame pool project questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Little Intex 12x30 Metal Frame pool project questions

Hey everyone,

My wife and I our starting our first pool project with a little Intex 12x30 Metal Frame pool. Mainly for our nieces and nephews but I'm sure we'll enjoy it too.
    I'm reading all that I can around here and just ordered a TF-100 test kit today. I want to go with an SWG and it seems a sand filter is better/easier to maintain than the basic Intex cartridge filters.
    Looking on the Intex site I'm wondering about the 14in Sand Filter Pump and SWG combination. Is the 1600gph too large for this little pool? We may upgrade later to a slightly larger pool down the road. Anyone have a setup like this?

Thanks for any help!
    Intex AG 14'x42" Ultra Frame | 3357 Gal (3500 Gal from pool calc.)
    Intex 16" Sand Filter/2650 gph pump & Intex 54601EG SWG, Hayward SP1091LX thru-the-wall Skimmer, Intex Magnetic Pool Light, TF-100 test kit w/SpeedStir & Sample Sizer.
    Our first little Intex pool project...

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Little Intex 12x30 Metal Frame pool project questions

I had the 1600 Sand Filter/SWG combo with my 12' x 36" pool last year and in my opinion... No it was definitely not too large. loved it. This year's pool is a little larger.
    Intex UltraFrame 14'x48in - 3,900 gallons. Intex 1600 GPH combo Sand Filter/SWG Hard Plumbed w/Hayward skimmer, suction & return. Borates.
    And... 15k gallon kidney shaped gunite 1975 vintage. Hayward DE3620 filter + Hayward 750 pump.
    TF100 Test Kit | Pool School | Pool Math

3. Back To Top    #3

If you think you will upgrade in the next year or so I'd go with the 2650 sand filter/pump combo and get the stand alone swg.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Bama Rambler - If I had to do it all over again, I probably would have picked up the 2650. I bought it before finding TFP and all of this information.

Why are you thinking stand alone units? The only thing that worries me with any combo is if there are failures then the whole thing has to be replaced. Is there another reason you suggest separates?
    Intex UltraFrame 14'x48in - 3,900 gallons. Intex 1600 GPH combo Sand Filter/SWG Hard Plumbed w/Hayward skimmer, suction & return. Borates.
    And... 15k gallon kidney shaped gunite 1975 vintage. Hayward DE3620 filter + Hayward 750 pump.
    TF100 Test Kit | Pool School | Pool Math

5. Back To Top    #5

That is the reason. You figure that the pump and filter will last longer than the swg so that's why I suggest separate units.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

That and after you get mad at the SWG and the fact that you being here at this forum you will probably test your water anyway and make small adjustments by adding bleach anyway, why bother with the SWG. And that's from the guy who had the Intex SWG for the past two years.

This year I have gone strictly bleach only and no SWG......pool is just as good (if not better condition) as it's ever been. Again, I keep my pool covered ALL the time it is not being used, may I suggest you do also.

I used the 2650 pump even for the 10 foot Intex pool I had a couple of years ago. If you go with the cartridge filter setup, dump the Intex filters and get a couple of Unicell replacement carts that you can clean and reuse.....they flow water so much better than the cheap, horrible Intex filters......I could tell you how much better my flow is/was, but you probably wouldn't believe me......Unicell filters are THAT much better than Intex......

Like Dave said above, keep as much separate as you can. Last year I had a bearing go out in the pump motor.....no problem, quick changeout and back in business for minimal outlay of cash.

Bob E.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the feedback!
    @Bama Rambler - I can see it could be better to keep them separate. I'm trying to keep within a budget, but I did notice the 2650 for around $189, seems like a good deal. And the SWG for about $170, seems doable.

@hyperionguy - How are you liking your 14x42 Ultra Frame? That's probably as big as I could go, and am really tempted to go that route now if I'm gonna do all the foundation work.

@Safteybob - Was 2650 creating waves in the 10ft? Good to know you guys have tried this stuff out, thanks for the tip on the cartridge filter upgrade as well!
    Intex AG 14'x42" Ultra Frame | 3357 Gal (3500 Gal from pool calc.)
    Intex 16" Sand Filter/2650 gph pump & Intex 54601EG SWG, Hayward SP1091LX thru-the-wall Skimmer, Intex Magnetic Pool Light, TF-100 test kit w/SpeedStir & Sample Sizer.
    Our first little Intex pool project...

8. Back To Top    #8

I had the same pool a few years ago and had the 2650 sand filter/pump. 1600 isn't too big at all. And it will be big enough for a bigger pool down the road. My neighbor has it on his 8,000 gallon pool and it does a great job.
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit