Oversized pump - need help sizing

tj21

May 27, 2013
Portland, Oregon
This is my first year with BBB, all is going well, my water is balanced and looking good (pictures below were taken the day after a big swim party and the water got hazy, so I'm in the process of shocking). But last year I bought too big of a pump, thinking that would solve my algae woes (before I found this site). My floating skimmer does not work right since too much water is getting sucked in through it. The floater gets pulled down too far, then pops back up and air gets in the system. Also, I get sand in the bottom of the pool that I have to vacuum up everyday which I assume is from the high flow pump, but not sure.

Can anyone help me find the best pump for my pool? Specs are in my signature, and a bunch of pictures are included so you can see what I have. I have 1.5" pipe throughout, but each of the fittings to flexible pipe and to the pool are 1.25". There is a tee after the filter, one branch going to the solar panels, and the other directly into the pool (2 ports into the pool).

I have 220v power to the current pump. I would like to get a quieter pump, this one isn't horrible, but still quieter would be better with my setup.

Any feedback is appreciated, thanks!

Welcome to TFP!

That is certainly a larger pump than you need. Easiest /cheapest solution would be to replace the impeller with a smaller one. That will reduce the flow rate and save on power usage. But that would solve the noise problem.

So, I would suggest getting a new 3/4 or 1 hp 2 speed motor and smaller impeller. Virtually silent on low speed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.