Hello TFP! Starting our first little pool project...

HacoboPablo

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 29, 2013
San Diego, CA
Hi guys, I haven't even opened the box yet and I'm glad I found this site!

My wife and I live downstairs from her brother and 4 kids. We share the backyard and all hang out together. This all started with a plastic kiddy pool that broke and 4 sad little faces, yes they melted me into getting another pool. Originally I picked up the Intex 10 x 30 Easy Set, then I saw videos on YouTube of kids leaning on the edges and water constantly pouring out, sooo it went back. I figured some of the adults might like to get in as well so I found a deal on a Intex 12 x 30 Metal Frame. I'm constrained for room to go much wider but I'm wondering if I should go 36" or 42" high instead of 30", especially if the "big kids" want to get in as well?

Here is the ground I'm starting with:

My challenges are gopher holes, red ants and getting it all level! I'm going too start by finding all of the tunnels and filling them in, may need to put a perimeter of gopher wire around the outside, we'll see.

Well, glad to be here and starting out with the right info of the bat, I'm soaking it all in and going thru Pool School, loving it, thanks for existing!

It is amazing isn't it.. All the info here :)

I took the 4ft deep one because my oldest kids and hubby and I like to use it as well.

Leveling will be your hardest chore. Read here about the real way to do it and start using diazanon for the ants in the area ( grew up in Texas lol) and put weed killer down after you get it level.

I used the 3/4" foam board under mine and love it. I am not sure about gophers but if you search here there are many that have :)

Good luck and post pics of the progress.. Mine is in my signature :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to TFP !

Congrats on the new pool. One thing I would like to reccommend is that you have all the chem's you need on hand for that first fill to start getting the water balanced. CYA, bleach or liquid chlorine and some borax. Also a good test kit like the TF-100 or the Taylor kit is a must have. You'll need to test the levels in the water. You don't want to be running around getting this and that after the pool is filled. You don't want to lose that first fill water.

Good Luck !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

The 42in depth pool is nice enough for adults, 30in might be a little shallow.

Diazinon is available? Thought that was banned? Havent been able to get it around here for years! Too bad, that stuff works...

wow I had no idea it was banned in the US... that truly sucks because it was GREAT when I lived in Texas for fire ants :( we used to sprinkle it on the yard every week faithfully. Which now after reading the phase out by the EPA would explain why stuff doesn't work on bug control any more ... joy

I would base my depth on the smallest kid.....if they can all swim good, then go as deep as you wish, if not, what is the depth that the small child could stand on theri feet and have their head out of the water.....that's your depth. That's why every two years I go 6 inches taller.....

Bob E.

@clambert1273 - Yep I'll post pics as I go. I think I'm going to do the foam as well, read alot of positive things about it. When you can, I would love to get that link for how to level the ground the best way, thanks!

@pwrstrk - Thanks! I bought the TF-100 kit yesterday and have my shopping list of chemicals to go get:
  • Bleach
    Borax 20 Mule Team
    Cyanuric Acid/Stabilizer
    Baking soda
    Muratic Acid
    Pool Salt

About how much of each chemical do you guys recommend for starting out with a smaller pool?

As far as the ants, I'll look into what you guys have mentioned, I've got to be careful because the kids are always digging and playing out there.
I've heard you can use dish soap and water, spray it on em and they die. Probably an old wives tale but I'm going to try it, I'll let you know!

@Safetybob - Yep something to seriously consider, they're all pretty good swimmers but there will always be an adult in the pool with them and when they're done it will be covered it at all times, removing any ladder and toys. We agreed we were only going to do it if everyone was on the same page of being safe!

Took back the Intex 12 x 30 and picked up the 14 x 42 Ultra Frame!

Also got all my 12x12 pavers and chemicals and found some Sevin for the ants.

Hopefully we'll start leveling this weekend.

Still gotta get the 3/4 foam and the pool salt.

At least I feel like things are moving forward!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It will be a pain in the backside, but I can't stress the importance of getting the pool leveled. It looks as if you have a nice flat place for it so, it shouldn't be too awfully grueling ~ but even when you are sick to death of messing with it ~ keep on keeping on until you are sure you have it perfect. It will get you longer life with the pool itself, and its safer, as you have little ones.

Bet the little ones are just tickled you bought that. I'll be anxious to see your progress. I'd love to see a gopher live in action in the one of the shots too ~ I don't have gophers around here.

Good Luck

Just a note that with the frame style intex pools (at least the round ones) you can under-fill if you choose, to allow the shortest swimmer to touch. We did that for years - only downside was the return was higher than the water line and caused my pH to really rise (I have high TA fill water). I solved that by fashioning a flour sack towel over the return to more gently move it into the water (and still monitoring pH and lowering it as needed with acid).

Good luck on getting that pool up and enjoying it with the kids!!

DKT113 said:
It will be a pain in the backside, but I can't stress the importance of getting the pool leveled. It looks as if you have a nice flat place for it so, it shouldn't be too awfully grueling ~ but even when you are sick to death of messing with it ~ keep on keeping on until you are sure you have it perfect. It will get you longer life with the pool itself, and its safer, as you have little ones.

Bet the little ones are just tickled you bought that. I'll be anxious to see your progress. I'd love to see a gopher live in action in the one of the shots too ~ I don't have gophers around here.

Good Luck

Yep I'm determined to do the foundation right since we are going to keep this up all year round, and I want things to be solid. This is where my OCD will be good!

@hyperionguy - Happy I did!

@crek31 - I just measured the 6yr old and the waterline at 36" will be under his chin, so he can stand flat and be alright. and that's about were the 42" would fill too anyways I believe. Return should still be below in my case, but good idea to minimize the aeration. Kids can't wait, I keep hearing "Are we there yet?" :whip:

I told them if they get impatient they can come down and look at the picture on the box and imagine what it will be like! heehee.

HacoboPablo said:
Took back the Intex 12 x 30 and picked up the 14 x 42 Ultra Frame!

Also got all my 12x12 pavers and chemicals and found some Sevin for the ants.

Hopefully we'll start leveling this weekend.

Still gotta get the 3/4 foam and the pool salt.

At least I feel like things are moving forward!

Where did you find the 14' ultra? I can't find anything local?

Digging up gopher tunnels and of course they are everywhere! Gettin my sweat on. I'm going to fill them in after I dig down and level the ground, so I'm not doing more work than I need to.

What do you guys recommend to fill the bigger holes/trenchs, dirt, crushed rock?

Ant Update: The dish soap and water actually works! I tried the Sevin and the fire ants where walking around like nothing happen. I filled a spray bottle with about an inch of dish soap and 3 or 4 inches of water gently swishing to mix, sprayed it on them and they stand up on their back legs and then curl up and die. How weird, but I feel better about using it with the kids around. So there you go!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.