Pool Build (San Diego) - POOL FILLED PICS 8/31

Re: In Progress Pool Build (San Diego)

Very nice dig! The plans in the OP look really nice and I agree, so much better than the computer rendering. We are shopping builders and getting closer to a decision on one. I am curious since you mention size just above and how it seems perfectly spacious. We have been laying out hoses to outline our pool shape (we want 36X18) and after putting the lines on the ground it looks tiny. A builder last night said he hears that a lot until the gunite is shot...then it looks bigger. Just curious if yours looked small to you when they painted it out. Again, a very nice dig, and I'll be checking back to see how it goes.

Thanks Patrick and everyone else for the kind comments. One thing you should make sure with your PB is that the layout he is drawing is the water line not the outer edge of the coping or you may be disappointed. Since we live in So. Cal, space is at a premium so we actually were pleasantly surprised at how spacious ours feels. That being said - right now we are looking at a dirt hole which will shrink up a bit once they put the shotcrete in. I'll post some more photos when that happens but we are currently hoping to get plumbing and rebar done over this next week.

WP_20130713_003.jpg

With my son standing in the deep end it looks massive to me!!!

Good for you! Sounds like a good PB, too for how he worked with you.

What I have experienced is that the pool looks small at the dig and through re-bar stage. So if you think it looks large now, I'll bet you will be very pleasantly surprised at how much bigger it looks after gunite is in!! And then, bigger still with plaster and water. Enjoy!

Keep the pictures coming, we enjoy living through this vicariously with you.

WaterFalcon said:
What type of temperature sensors are you thinking about using?

I am not sure I completely know the answer to this. We are using the Pentair Intellitouch which I believe comes with both an air temp sensor and a water sensor for the pool and spa (depending on which one is cycling water). I believe we will also have a sensor for the solar as well.

Am I missing something? If there are other options you definitely have my attention. Let me know if this either answers your question or if there is more to the system option wise than I am aware!

We are back in action again ... progress was slow this week as my PB was doing excavation at my neighbors house (they decided to go with the same PB as we did after interviewing a number of companies). We also had a little delay as the landscape contractor from the original install ran a bunch of pipes in the wrong location and they were all destroyed during our excavation and had to be repaired. Hopefully the brown grass turns green again!!!

Plumbing and steel should be in over next couple days and then hopefully shotcrete later in the week as long as the inspections go well. I'll post some pictures as the plumbing goes in.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Per the PB this is the approximate plumbing layout they are in the process of installing:

POOL:
(1) Skimmer with 2.5" suction (dedicated line)
(3) Returns 2" line to pad with T at pool - 1.5" pipe to (2) returns and 1" pipe to the other single return
(1) Main Drain with 2 openings 36" apart on a single 2" line

SPA:
(6) Jets - (4) floor and (2) calf connected to main filter (3/8" jet opening) via a 2.5" suction line and 2" return
(8) Jets - (6) upper back (2) lower back via 2.5" suction and 2" return

WATER FEATURES:
Waterfall via 2" suction and 2" return
Bubblers via 2" line which reduces to 1" heads for each of the (2) bubblers on the beach entry

PUMPS:
(1) 3HP Pentair VS3050 Intelliflo to run (Pool Cleaner, Filter, Solar, Heating, Spa Heat, 6 Spa Jets - Floor and Calf)
(1) 1.5HP Pentair Whisperflo to run (Waterfall and Bubblers)
(1) 2HP Pentair Whisperflo to run (8 Spa Jets - Back Jets)

Hopefully this is all setup correctly for our configuration. I have been trying to understand all the water engineering but a lot of it is just over my head at the moment.

Plumbing progress so far...

WP_20130728_003.jpg

Spa Return/Suction and Light Conduit

WP_20130728_004.jpg

Pool Skimmer / Light (1 of 2) and irrigation lines running next to beach entry

WP_20130728_005.jpg

Close up of Skimmer and lines coming into pool. Main drain lines are plumbed to skimmer not separate as I had originally thought.

WP_20130728_007.jpg

Overview shot

Re: In Progress Pool Build (San Diego) : Shotcrete Photos

Shotcrete was done today and while I'm slightly concerned about the fact that I saw the trimmings left in the bottom of the pool before they shot the floor (they did all the coves and walls first), it does appear that everything was done with a pretty good level of expertise. I also checked the CSLB website and verified that they have been in business (per their license) for 15+ years and do not have any active (or past that are visible) complaints. Reading about nightmare stories of gunite/shotcrete issues kept me awake most of the night but as my wife likes to remind me "sometimes you just have to trust the experts".

WP_20130808_008.jpg

WP_20130808_014.jpg

WP_20130808_021.jpg

WP_20130808_024.jpg

cbink said:
Wow, it's really starting to come together and it looks beautiful. Congrats!

Thanks cbink, I just finished looking through your build and it looks like we are at a similar point of construction. I really like your design as well - the spa layout is unique and will look great when finished!

Well you sound like me. I was able to visit two shoots this week. One from each of the last two guys I have it down too for my build. Both were very similar, but one much more organized. I've looked at hundreds of shoot pics here, but nothing replaces seeing it in action. Fortunately, the one I'm leaning toward had the "better" job going. Seeing this done was a real eye opener and very enlightening. Sounds like you found some good guys to do yours. Looking great so far!

Brushpup said:
Well you sound like me. I was able to visit two shoots this week. One from each of the last two guys I have it down too for my build. Both were very similar, but one much more organized. I've looked at hundreds of shoot pics here, but nothing replaces seeing it in action. Fortunately, the one I'm leaning toward had the "better" job going. Seeing this done was a real eye opener and very enlightening. Sounds like you found some good guys to do yours. Looking great so far!

I'm hoping to upload a time lapse video here of the work done on our pool. Waiting on Youtube upload now... (coffee time)

In Progress Pool Build (San Diego) - Shotcrete Time Lapse Vi

So I managed to create a timelapse video of the shotcrete process - its a little bit long but a good view if anyone wants to see the process and how its done. It is truly amazing how much they get accomplished in just a day. From a big hole in the back yard to an ACTUAL POOL! The transformation is remarkable and the process is pretty cool to watch.

[youtube:pyurbqlo]-B1jucclTLg[/youtube:pyurbqlo]

Re: In Progress Pool Build (San Diego) - Video Added 8/10

Cool video - thanks for sharing.

You're actually a little ahead of me I think. Although we both have the shell in place, your plumbing appears much further along than mine which is stubbed around the pool but is currently being trenched back to the equipment pad and supply etc.

Looking great so far - It's going to be fantastic pool, especially with the barstools and that view. :party:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.