Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New owner in Texas

1. Back To Top    #1

New owner in Texas

Just bought a new home in Katy/Houston Texas, trying to learn about the new hobby. Been to Pool School - printed a book about it.

So I inherited a Salt Water Generator, Jandy AquaLink. The water is blue, not too untidy on the bottom of the pool, pretty clear but not crystal, and temp around 85 to 91 degrees.

Polaris 280 not working, permanent squirt of jet (that moves it from corners) bearings sound clunky. Unplugged now.
    Pump filter looks like it has air going through it and no water - does this have anything to do with the Polaris booster pump?

Test Results:

26th June:
    pH = > 8.2
    FC = 2ppm
    CC = 0.5ppm
    TA = 40
    CH > 200 not confirmed as solution still pink
    Salt cell reading 3000ppm, strip test 2200ppm
    CYA ~ 0

So I added 48 fluid oz of 8.25% bleach and 14 oz of Muriatic acid.

1st June:
    pH = ~ 8
    FC = 1ppm
    CC = 1ppm
    TA = 40
    CH - test was always purple, not blue
    Salt cell reading 3300ppm, strip test 2800ppm

So the pH is a bit better, but the FC level is worse.

Plan of action is to add CYA, but looks like I need around the whole container - 4lbs, and then hit away at the bleach and the Muraitic acid. Does that sound sensible?

I'd like to understand how the system works - i.e. whether the salt reading is correct or not and whether I should be trying to get the FC level higher with Bleach or running the SWG for longer and adding some salt - if needed.

Any advise appreciated
    Pool size ~ 14000 gallons, in-ground plaster, Jandy AqualinkRS salt water generator, cartridge filter, Pump TBC - in Houston Texas

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New owner in Texas

Welcome to tfp, Nico24

You CC>0.5 and the not crystal clear water tells us you need to do the shocking process. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...king_your_pool

Before starting that, I would lower the ph down to 7.4 or so. Dose with Muriatic Acid, then test again in an hour and redose until you reach a ph of 7.4.

I would also start getting 20 ppm of cya into the pool by filling an old sock and hanging it in front the the pool return (water coming back to the pool).

I would do the shocking process with the saltwater chlorine generator (swg) off.

The air in you pump basket is likely a suction side issue/leak. Check the pool water level, look for a stuck skimmer, and relube the pump basket gasket.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Linen - that's given me the pointers I need to get going. Lucky I'm on vacation to give it a go.
    Pool size ~ 14000 gallons, in-ground plaster, Jandy AqualinkRS salt water generator, cartridge filter, Pump TBC - in Houston Texas

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Nico24
    Thanks Linen - that's given me the pointers I need to get going. Lucky I'm on vacation to give it a go.

Good deal...you'll have something to keep you from missing work so much. Have at it and let us know how it goes, but you'll do fine with your willingness to learn this stuff. It isn't complicated at all.

Welcome to TFP and enjoy the forum.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem