poured conditioner into stream of pump and not skimmer...

Jun 30, 2013
As the title says, I poured the conditioner mixed in with water into the stream of the pump to circulate it instead of the skimmer as the leslie's instruction says to. How bad did I screw up?? It is night now and I cant see if it got disolved as it circulated or if its all just sitting at the bottom -- won't know until the morning.

Do I need to try and get it out tomorrow? Do I need to redo the conditor into the skimmer tomorrow?

really hoping I didn't break my pool :/

info:

salt water pool
sand filter
above ground
15k gallons

Re: poured conditioner into stream of pump and not skimmer..

dry CYA stabilizer is acidic and can take days dissolve this makes it bad to be left in contact with the pool bottom, probably the best thing you can do now is to vacuum up all the CYA, then avoid backwashing your sand filter for the next few days until the CYA has dissolved.

I agree with Isaac...assuming it was the granular cya, it is best to vacuum it off of the floor as soon as possible so that it does not do any damage to the liner.

For future reference, we recommend putting granular cya in an old sock and either placing the sock in the skimmer or hang it in front of the return (my preference).

Thanks for the quick replies. Do I need to do this tonight or can it wait until the morning (about 9 hours from now)??

edit: the filter is running -- will run overnight anyway, if that changes the answer

It would be best to do it tonight, but if there if you can't see it, I would brush the pool bottom now and vacuum it in the morning.

Again for future reference, attempting to "pre-dissolve" granular cya in a bucket does nothing. It is very difficult to get cya to go into solution...that is why the liquid version of cya is so expensive.

linen said:
It would be best to do it tonight, but if there if you can't see it, I would brush the pool bottom now and vacuum it in the morning.

Again for future reference, attempting to "pre-dissolve" granular cya in a bucket does nothing. It is very difficult to get cya to go into solution...that is why the liquid version of cya is so expensive.

thanks for the help! I drove to the house with the pool (we bought it but have not moved in fully yet), and as I thought I cannot see the bottom between the bad lighting on the pool and the cloudiness (another thing we are trying to fix). So I took the pool rake and went all along the bottom twice hoping I was kicking up the acid and hopefully it will get back into the filter. I will be there 7AM tomorrow to vacuum whatever is left.

That brings me to my next question though -- vacuuming will obvioulsy bring it into the filter where it was supposed to be in the first place, which means it will get redistributed through the water.. after this occurs how long until we have to wait to swim or can we swim right after?

really appreciate all the help! this pool stuff is overwhelming!

err and hopefully the last question in this thread...

Why are you told not to backflush the pump after letting conditioner in? Is it tjust b/c the conditioner would get wasted when flushed out or would it damage the pump somehow?

Once you vacuum it into the filter, go swimming.
It takes a long time for it to dissolve. If you back flush, you lose it. It can take a week or more for it to fully dissolve.

Also, you mentioned the water was cloudy, so it may not be a good idea to be swimming in it any way. Post up a full set of test results.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Also, please fill in your signature with your pool info, as well as filling in your location in your profile as instructed in pool school. Link @ top right of pg. or in my Sig below. Look under "read this before you post".
This helps us help you with your questions. :)

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.