Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: poured conditioner into stream of pump and not skimmer...

poured conditioner into stream of pump and not skimmer...

As the title says, I poured the conditioner mixed in with water into the stream of the pump to circulate it instead of the skimmer as the leslie's instruction says to. How bad did I screw up?? It is night now and I cant see if it got disolved as it circulated or if its all just sitting at the bottom -- won't know until the morning.

Do I need to try and get it out tomorrow? Do I need to redo the conditor into the skimmer tomorrow?

really hoping I didn't break my pool :/

info:

salt water pool
    sand filter
    above ground
    15k gallons
    Pool Info: 15,000 gallons, Above Ground, Sand Filter, high & low settings on pump, Pool was supposdely built summer 2012 (bought house in summer 2013), AutoPilot Pool Pilot Digital

Re: poured conditioner into stream of pump and not skimmer..

dry CYA stabilizer is acidic and can take days dissolve this makes it bad to be left in contact with the pool bottom, probably the best thing you can do now is to vacuum up all the CYA, then avoid backwashing your sand filter for the next few days until the CYA has dissolved.
    Indoor 20x40 36,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis panel roof top solar heat with Aquasolar controller, Dolphin Diagnostic Pro Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and soon to be connected UV Ozonator and now Hot Spring Jetsetter standalone spa
    I use and endorse the TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net

I agree with Isaac...assuming it was the granular cya, it is best to vacuum it off of the floor as soon as possible so that it does not do any damage to the liner.

For future reference, we recommend putting granular cya in an old sock and either placing the sock in the skimmer or hang it in front of the return (my preference).
    TFP Moderator who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

Thanks for the quick replies. Do I need to do this tonight or can it wait until the morning (about 9 hours from now)??

edit: the filter is running -- will run overnight anyway, if that changes the answer
    Pool Info: 15,000 gallons, Above Ground, Sand Filter, high & low settings on pump, Pool was supposdely built summer 2012 (bought house in summer 2013), AutoPilot Pool Pilot Digital

It was the granular version. I only diluted for about ten minutes before so most of it was not diluted at all

It would be best to do it tonight, but if there if you can't see it, I would brush the pool bottom now and vacuum it in the morning.

Again for future reference, attempting to "pre-dissolve" granular cya in a bucket does nothing. It is very difficult to get cya to go into solution...that is why the liquid version of cya is so expensive.
    TFP Moderator who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    It would be best to do it tonight, but if there if you can't see it, I would brush the pool bottom now and vacuum it in the morning.

Again for future reference, attempting to "pre-dissolve" granular cya in a bucket does nothing. It is very difficult to get cya to go into solution...that is why the liquid version of cya is so expensive.
    thanks for the help! I drove to the house with the pool (we bought it but have not moved in fully yet), and as I thought I cannot see the bottom between the bad lighting on the pool and the cloudiness (another thing we are trying to fix). So I took the pool rake and went all along the bottom twice hoping I was kicking up the acid and hopefully it will get back into the filter. I will be there 7AM tomorrow to vacuum whatever is left.

That brings me to my next question though -- vacuuming will obvioulsy bring it into the filter where it was supposed to be in the first place, which means it will get redistributed through the water.. after this occurs how long until we have to wait to swim or can we swim right after?

really appreciate all the help! this pool stuff is overwhelming!

err and hopefully the last question in this thread...

Why are you told not to backflush the pump after letting conditioner in? Is it tjust b/c the conditioner would get wasted when flushed out or would it damage the pump somehow?

Once you vacuum it into the filter, go swimming.
    It takes a long time for it to dissolve. If you back flush, you lose it. It can take a week or more for it to fully dissolve.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    19k gallon Pebble Tec pool/spa,Pentair Intelliflo VS, 2 hp Super II pump (for spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE filter, Hayward H400 & Solar heating

Also, you mentioned the water was cloudy, so it may not be a good idea to be swimming in it any way. Post up a full set of test results.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, Dolphin Diagnostic Robotic Cleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Gone: Hayward RS1500 pump, undersized DIY solar heater, Dolphin Dynamic Robotic Cleaner
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

Also, please fill in your signature with your pool info, as well as filling in your location in your profile as instructed in pool school. Link @ top right of pg. or in my Sig below. Look under "read this before you post".
    This helps us help you with your questions.

Welcome to TFP!
    Thanks for reading... - Tony
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D