Pool vacuum idea.

Jul 1, 2013
Arkansas
I have an in-ground pool with 2 skimmers and 3 returns and 3 deck jets. I've seen pools with dedicated pool vacuum ports. Can something like this be retrofitted by adding a tee to main drain intake with a shut off valve? Then connect vacuum hose to it to vacuum? Never had good luck maintaining suction thru skimmers and looking for a fix. Does this make sense? This is my first visit to this forum and it looks very informative. I appreciate any help with this issue.

I think the first thing you need to do is figure out why you can't maintain the suction through the skimmers. If it's an air leak then hooking it to the MD line may not help at all.

I'm also having a hard time visualizing how you will be able to hook a vacuum line to the main drain line without a lot of piping or hose above ground.

I was planning to have a valve with a disconnect off the tee. A twelve foot pipe to connect the vacuum hose to. Tee would be at pump installed before the valve that blends main drains to skimmer. I thought I could use another blending valve to control the main drain/vacuum line and shut off skimmers.

The skimmers draw okay but seem to draw less than they used to. Had Roto-rooter and then pool guys try to clean the lines with limited success. Tried water blaster too. Filter pump runs at around 35 lbs when on.

Pool equipment is a 1.5 hp Pentair, two skimmers using 2 inch pipe, two main drains using 1.5 inch pipe. Pool is a forty by 20 lazy L in-ground. Found the issue. A plastic adapter of some sort was jammed in the elbow leading to jandy-valve. Had to cut pipes to dislodge it. Just replaced the jandy valve and waiting for the glue to set up. Let you know how it works later.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.