Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar Pool Covers

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar Pool Covers

Looking for advise with my next solar cover purchase. I have owned two in the last 5 years. I have a 35000 gal salt water pool in southern AZ. What I really need help with is trying to figure out exactly what the 3,4,5-10 year warranties actually cover and what "standards" do i need to uphold in order for the warranty to be acknowledged. Any advise?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Solar Pool Covers

From what I have read here, seems like you are best off buying the cheapest cover you can since they only last a few years anyway. But, I have never had one.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Grand Rapids, Michigan

My solar covers usually last a couple years whether they are the super duper or the not so super duper. Reading the fine print on the warranties--basically you have to keep them out of the sun! Mine have arrived with a too short white plastic "tarp" to cover it when it's rolled up. I never used it. I would think that the thicker blankets DO prevent heat loss better but you have to decide if it's worth the extra bucks for 2 years of service.
    17,500 gal. ABG Doughboy Pool
    1/2 HP Pump/150 sq.ft. Cartridge Filter
    TF100 Test Kit And Speedstir

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

There´s an Australian company, Daisy Pool Covers, who export cheap solar pool covers. An agent for them started selling them here in Spain a few years ago saying that they´d last for many years. I thought they looked flimsy so decided not to try them.

However, they are becoming very common here now as they are still showing no signs of deterioration! The rollers look cheap but work fine (don´t sag in the middle like some).

Not sure if you can get them in USA but it may be worth a google.