Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Deciding on a new pump...

1. Back To Top    #1

Deciding on a new pump...

Hi guys,

I'm hoping someone can help me out. Im pretty green when it comes to pools so I'll take any suggestions. I have an older pool in really good shape but the pump is pretty old and is costing a fortune to run. I have a play/party pool and is estimated at about 15k gallons. I don't have a spa or any other water feature so the pump only runs the vacuum on occasion and mostly circulates the water. I've been looking at the variable speed pumps due to how low I can set it and keep it running more often but I'm not sure if it's the type of pump I should be looking at. I kind of like the Pentair Intelliflo pumps. They have the VS and SVRS but I'm not sure which would be a better choice, or if I'm even on the right track. Any suggestions would be more than welcome. Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Deciding on a new pump...

Welcome to TFP!!!

The SVRS pumps are more for commercial use and all we see here are people having problems with the pumps shutting off while trying to vacuum or run a suction cleaner.

If you have a small pool with no variable water flow needs, why not just get a smaller 2-speed pump? Or look at one of the smaller VS pumps like the Hayward Max-flo. You (and most pool owners) have no need for a 3HP monster of a pump.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!