Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer main drain diverter question from a newbie

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer main drain diverter question from a newbie

Read a lot of the posts on this topic but I am still confused.

I have a diverter that looks like the one in the photos in equipment section. Have two pipes in bottom of skimmer, both same diameter. One pulls water like the devil with the diverter and basket out, the other not a thing.

I have two main drains in my deep end. When pump is running I can feel no pull at all when I stand on them. I would think I should.

My water quality is good, other than i am getting a new VS pump and new filter soon as the pump is noisy and inefficient and the filters need replacing so for a few hundred more I am going to get a new cartridge filter system.

Also, do not understand how diverter works as it seems like when the disk is down it covers both pipes completely.

I am sure the answer is in here somewhere but I did do a search and 8 or so threads.
    10000 Gal, IG Pebbletec, pop up cleaners,Hayward EcoStar VS, 425 sq ft Hayward Cartridge, waterfall feature

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Skimmer main drain diverter question from a newbie

Welcome to TFP!!!

The floor drains are designed such that you should not be able to feel the water flow for safety reasons. Your floor is plumbed to the second pipe in the skimmer that does not have suction. When you slide the flap closed on the diverter, then water can not be drawn from the skimmer so it is pulled from the floor up through the other pipe.

To be clear, you have the diverter that looks like this?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, my diverter looks like that. I think it may be broken as there is a floater but no side flap. There is a screw with a borken piece of plastic which may be the remnants of a broken flap. Time for me to go the pool store look at what a new diverter looks like. Thanks, will check back in when I check out the diverter to make sure i understand how to adjust it.

And i guess I am to understand that the skimmer side pipe that goes to the pump should have lots of suction and the main drain side not so much
    10000 Gal, IG Pebbletec, pop up cleaners,Hayward EcoStar VS, 425 sq ft Hayward Cartridge, waterfall feature

4. Back To Top    #4

Yup, sounds like your sliding flap on the bottom is missing:

You will only feel suction in the pipe going to the pump. At this point with no flap, most of your suction is going through the skimmer and likely very little if any through the floor. When you get a new diverter and close the flap completely, you may be able to feel or see debris sucked into the floor.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

My flap deformed, so I cut a piece of thicker plexiglass to replace it.

When the flap is 100% closed, it draws close to 100% from the main drain.

!00% open, it's easier to draw from above - gravity and all that - so you get nothing from the main drain. Which matches your experience perfectly.

If the water level in the skimmer gets too low, the float inside gets sucked down, blocking the skimmer inlet and pulling 100% from the main drain. It will stay like that until the suction is released, either by lifting it off or by the pump shutting off.

It's trial and error setting up the balance. Even with 100% main drain, if you have the correct drain covers, you won't feel any suction to speak of. I experimented with mine so that I just barely see a reduction in turbulence in the skimmer.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks, I understand completely now. Amazing my pool has stayed near perfect for 5 years without the main drains working much!

7. Back To Top    #7

Many pools do not even have floor drains ... they are not really required, but they can help with the circulation.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

Just ordered a new diverter, thanks for the help