Pool backfill material and sequence

Jun 19, 2013
I am starting to backfill my pool walls as directed by my contractor friend who is helping with this diy in ground vinyl (steel) build. I am told to use the dirt from excavation to back fill on top of the concrete that was poured on the base of the steel walls and braces. Then water settle the dirt. I am a little confused because I thought that backfill need to happen as the water was being installed? Am I doing this right?

Thanks

Our pool builder would not backfill with dirt and we weren't pouring concrete deck. We used #57 rock and crusher run. We went through several weeks with the walls up and nothing else going on due to bad weather/scheduling. All backfill was done except for the few inches needed for sod. Walls didn't move a bit. We actually had to build 12' tall retaining wall and engineer recommended not to backfill with dirt due to hydrostatic pressure. We used stone and crushed stone. More $$ but less worries. We also compacted every 6". May have been overkill but we didn't think the neighbors would appreciate 20k gallons pouring down on them. :shock:

I would not pour concrete on a back fill of dirt less than 1 year old. I would never use sand for back fill.....it is to "liquid".

#57 rock is probably the best you can use if you need to pour your deck. It'll cost you some money but your decking won't crack..

I am certainly no expert, but our walls stood for several weeks after backfilling. They did check level before taking measurement for liner but everything stayed in place. The only problem we had is when a kind sub contractor drove too close to the wall causing the wall to budge a little. :rant: but it was really no problem after all.

I am sure the experts on this forum will have a more educated opinion.

It is a reality that most PB's are going to backfill with the dirt they dug out. I am sure you can request them to remove the dirt and fill with crusher run but may be cost prohibitive for many. I have 4 friends in my neighborhood who all used same PB who over digs by four feet around pool and then back fills with a foot of crusher run and then the rest fill dirt which they water in a compact in lifts as they replace it. They also use 4 inch PVC tubes every 4-5 feet 42 inches tall buried 36 inches off the pool edge it is then filled with concrete to help support the deck. No one seems to have a deck settling problem or concrete crack yet, most pools are 3-5 years old.

Iv'e built many many inground vinyl liner pools and all we use is crushed limestone with no dust. The gravel doesn't settle and the big thing is our footer drains work and our liners never float. I don't understand dirt backfill water won't drain from behind the walls. Just my 2 cents

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.