Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Where to buy 1/8 - 1/4 pea gravel

1. Back To Top    #1

Where to buy 1/8 - 1/4 pea gravel

I'm replacing a sand filter and I want to do it right. I can get pea pebbles at Home Depot or Lowes but they are larger than the size specified by Pentair. I can order the right size from Leslies or other pool stores in town but delivery is two weeks. No place locally seems to stock it. I'm going to an aquarium store tonight to see what they have. Help, my water is getting cloudy! Where have you all bought your pea gravel and what kind or size did you get?
    24000 gallon in-ground | 500 gallon spill-over spa | SWCG T-15 cell | PS-8 control panel | Solar panel heating | Propane heater | Jacuzzi TM 31 sand filter | Jacuzzi 2HP 240V pumps (one each for filter and spa jets) | Jacuzzi TM 31 sand filter | Auto-leveler |

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Where to buy 1/8 - 1/4 pea gravel

We were just chatting about this least week and IIRC, the landscape pea gravel will work fine but require more backwash during install and maybe the first few washes.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Where to buy 1/8 - 1/4 pea gravel

Solution: I washed one bag of pea pebbles (0.5 cubic feet, ~50 lbs., $4) and poured it in first. This formed a layer under the laterals. Then, I poured in 100 lbs. of aquarium gravel. Walmart sells it for about $12 per 25 lbs. bag. In total, my gravel mix was not much more expensive than the difficult-to-source, pool filter-specific gravel that costs about $14 per 50 lbs. bag.
    24000 gallon in-ground | 500 gallon spill-over spa | SWCG T-15 cell | PS-8 control panel | Solar panel heating | Propane heater | Jacuzzi TM 31 sand filter | Jacuzzi 2HP 240V pumps (one each for filter and spa jets) | Jacuzzi TM 31 sand filter | Auto-leveler |